cutting paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I need to cut some 400x400 slabs.
aldi have cutting discs for a fiver
would an angle grinder do for this, using the cheap cutting discs or do i need to buy a different power tool?

Sponsored Links
Ideally, hire or borrow a stihl saw with a diamond blade in it. It'll make the job a whole lot easier.

Where abouts in the UK are you? I have a Stihl saw and diamond blade if your near.

No prob if the grinder is 9", even a small one will do it eventually. Depends on thickness of slabs, if they are the 28mm then no probs at all. I've bought the Lidl 5 quid discs which are fine for this.

If your used to using a grinder go for it but if you haven't used one much do yourself a favour and hire a stihl saw.

25 quid is cheaper than a broken wrist. But hey bones heal and chicks dig scars.

Sponsored Links
If your used to using a grinder go for it but if you haven't used one much do yourself a favour and hire a stihl saw.

25 quid is cheaper than a broken wrist. But hey bones heal and chicks dig scars.

Yeah be careful if you havent used one before, they can kick back if you dont use them right.

But as the man said chicks dig a scar lol

Yeah be careful if you havent used one before, they can kick back if you dont use them right.

But as the man said chicks dig a scar lol

Yeah, but chicks dont dig a man with only half a foot... There again if you told them I've only got a foot and a half, I reckon you'll pull every night. :D :D :D

I used to buy 9" d.d.'s for about 20 quid.

Then i bought an £85 one that lasted about 3 years with a LOT of use.

Awesome cutting ability and longevity. I will never buy a cheap one again.
Also the expensive ones do not flex and gum up like the cheapo ones do. This means you can cut with accuracy and continuous force through just about anything.

saw a piece in a magazine that explained the difference to a tradesman between spending £30 on a cheap blade and getting a decent one. Not only is there the saving in buying the blade, but the time saved as they cut quicker and the saving in productivity as the operator becomes knackered from the cutting. (try doing a large limestone patio with all its cuts to see what i mean!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back