Cutting concrete for beds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i want to create some beds for bushes, shrubs and veg around the edge of my concrete yard.

Ive been advised to dig through the concrete to the soil so the plants will be deep enough for roots of high bushes.

Im wondering what is the best way to cut the concrete? ive seen a cheap angle grinder which i thought i could use to cut a straight line and then chip away at the concrete with hammer and cold chisel.

Does this sound ok?

Any advice much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
Depends how deep it is. If more than an inch or so you will find it very difficult like that.

Use a long masonry drill (as sold for puting pipes through walls) to drill vertically through for a test hole, and see how thick it is before you start getting black earth, or red broken brick, or something other than the hard concrete.

You probably have a hire shop near you who will hire you an electrically driven breaker for a weekend (rather like a roadmenders pneumatic drill, but smaller).

If it is thin or weak you might manage it with an SDS drill (rotation stpped) and a chisel-ended steel.

Thanks John, the bore hole sounds like a good idea, I'll try that first.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Grinder would work. but best to cut a grid into the section you're removing, then will be much easier to chisel out the little 'cubes' of concrete. Like JD said a heavy sds with chisel will **** through a precut grid, but it will take time and you'll need a decent diamond disc to hand. (Or handful of cheapies)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back