Cut large marble backplate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i'm about to get a nice looking marble fire surround, with back plate and hearth. The only problem is, the backplate does not have a cutout to put in the flue of a normal heater or an insert.

Is it possible to cut out a large piece of marble backplate or get it cut professionally without breaking the marble or is it just not worth the headache?

Sponsored Links
It is easy to cut, assuming it is marble. Use either a masonry disc in an angle grinder, or preferably a diamond blade. As it is a one off, normal discs would be more economic, and you won't use more than 2.

If it is granite it is worth buying a diamond blade. Normal discs will wear quickly and you will use a lot. With a normal disc, you will tend to skid and damge the panel.

If you don't have accesss to a grinder, pop into a local fireplace shop, and they may do it for you. I would charge about £30 - £40, but it would be at customers risk.

Some shops wouldn't be interested, and you would more than likely have to get the panel to them.

Good luck.

thanks gasman.

I have a cheapy tesco grinder (will this do the job?) :-

http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=207-0283

someone said to me that to reduce the liklehood of cracking, whilst using a grinder with a diamond blade, i should get a second person to get a cheap plant spray bottle and spray a small amount water mist to help avoid too much friction (avoiding any electric parts of course :LOL:).

Does that sound like a good idea?

Sponsored Links
Sorry if this is too late:

thanks gasman.

I have a cheapy tesco grinder (will this do the job?) :-
Not on granite, but should be okay on marble, nut don't force it.

someone said to me that to reduce the liklehood of cracking, whilst using a grinder with a diamond blade, i should get a second person to get a cheap plant spray bottle and spray a small amount water mist to help avoid too much friction (avoiding any electric parts of course :LOL:).

Does that sound like a good idea?

No. Totally unnecessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back