Cut new hatches in my chipboard floor joist question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i had to cut a few hatches in my tongue and groove chipboard flooring, for my new kitchen for plumbers and electricians to get access.

However when avoiding the nails there are some that dont rest on the joist. Is it ok to "daughter" the joist to support the new hatches?

TIA

Sponsored Links
robbieee, good evening.

Suggest you consider fitting [say] 50.mm Square timber to the joists over the area of the newly cut hatches [where needed] that way you can re=fit the chip board floor easily and make it easy to remove the access hatches

So long as the 50.mm. Square timber extends below the uncut chipboard and the top surface of the timber is spot on level with the underside of the un-cut areas of chipboard then it is an "easy" fix?

Ken.

You seem to have two questions -
For the one about nails missing the joists . Is it causing movement or creaking? If not leave them alone.
If its a problem then simply locate and mark the joist positions and then screw the boards to the joists.

You do whats called trimming around any access traps - use 2" x 4" min timber or same section size as the joists.
You can certainly clap trimming pieces on to any convenient or sistered joist - use screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back