Cut Roof Support

Hi Static,
I have two 10ft lengths of timber. But when I put them against the purlin they drifted down with the angle. So can only use a small amount of the timber. Do you think that will be enough to attach?
Viv.

Sponsored Links
Use bolts through both old and new and when tightened it should remove the angle. You probably only need about 2 rafter centres beyond the split, so about 1.2m each side then put in bolts every 250mm or so at staggered centres, use the largest washers you can.

Must be one hell of a bend in the middle :!: :eek:

If it's that bad I beginning to think it may be easier to use 3" angle iron instead.

Hi Masona,
Looked up angle iron but still none the wiser. What do I do with it and where do I get one?
Viv.

Sponsored Links
Have a look in the Yellow Pages under "Steel Fabrications" and get them to drill the 10mm holes ready for you, approx 300mm centre, then just nuts/bolts them together. You will need 2 length of angle iron.

Pity you're too far away from me, I could've done that for you with your timber & packed the bend solid :cry:

Hi Masona,
Sorry it`s been so long but you know how it is ;)
I have managed to put some rods up that I got from a timber yard that the name escapes me. Here is a pic, do you think it will be any good? I have put a rod on both sides and joined them together. Looks solid enough but would like your expert opinion please.
Thanks, Viv.

Sorry been trying to work out how to attach a pic lol.
Did not think you would reply this fast ;)
Still trying xx

I think there's some part of the story missing here. I've never seen a joint like that - ever!. I'm guessing that at some stage someone has removed a wall below (maybe making the bathroom/loo one big room) and that joint would have sat on a brick pier (no-longer there). That roof wouldn't have lasted from when the house was built until now if something hadn't changed.
You need a structural engineer me thinks.

joe-90 said:
I've never seen a joint like that - ever!.
My purlin is exactly the same as the picture built in 1902. Why they didn't overlap it then I have no idea, my roof rafters is bowed and all I could do was to strengthen it to stop it pushing the wallplate of the wall. Seen quite a few though even butt joints

The purlin in the picture is held in place by the rafters - rather than taking the deflection out of the rafters and sending the weight into the foundations.
This is absolutely fundamental architecture/structural engineering. Not even a schoolboy would commit such a blindingly obvious error.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back