Have Purlins, can I remove trusses?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I do plan on taking a couple of simple pictures showing loft but basically wanted to know If i can remove the existing diagonal timbers that go from the floor to the purlins. The purlins are hefty things and look in good condition as does the point where they are fixed in the walls. There are three sets of timbers which are not equally spaced and go diagonal from floor to purlin then a horizontal piece across the two diagonals. I was hoping that i could remove these and put vertical supports directly under the purlin to the floor, perhaps every metre?
The house is mid terraced 1950's 3 bedroom.
The only reason for doing this is to add a floor for storage as the diagonals are in the way currently.

Any advice appreciated.

Russ

Sponsored Links
We don't usually add bits of timber to a roof for fun, as it is a slog just putting the structural stuff in, so your diagonal timbers are likely to be bracings of some kind and should not be removed without understanding what they are doing.

Any chance of a piccie?

We don't usually add bits of timber to a roof for fun, as it is a slog just putting the structural stuff in, so your diagonal timbers are likely to be bracings of some kind and should not be removed without understanding what they are doing.

Any chance of a piccie?

Hi, it was suggested to me that they were there as a temporary measure when the property was first built. I have had a closer look and took a few pictures and my thought are they dont look temporary to me. Now i have had a closer look I can also see the purlin is not one continuous piece and is joined. However I am still hoping the supports can be removed and replaced by uprights direct to the underside of the purlins. See Roof Support pictures. I have more if required.

I have seen that bracing used were the purlin is undersized, if that is the case then you cannot just remove and put verticals in as your roof may start sagging over time.

Sponsored Links
You'll need a structural engineer to do some calcs or you may find your roof sagging.

Or at least post some pics.

They are supporting the purlin to reduce it's unsupported span. So you should not remove them

So what would be the easiest/cheapest way to support roof and remove them so as to be able to utilise ad much floor space as possible. These three support sections currently stop me from being able move around the loft easily.

It's not a simple as that.

Probably change the purlin for a steel beam

You wouldn't be able to just remove the diagonal post (purlin post) or the collar (horizontal timber) and build a frame vertically down onto the ceiling, due to the fact you would be transfering the roof load to your ceiling. Your ceiling will probably not be strong enough to take any roof loads.

Replacing the purlins with Steel would be a good option (although costly). I'd try looking at using a EWP product (engineered wood product) such as Timberstrand, Glulam, Ultralam etc.

Try contacting a local roof truss manufacturer/ Engineered joist supplier and asking them. IF they carry the product on the ground, most should be able to provide an idea if a EWP product would work.

You say that you cant remove the diagonals and replace with vertical frame to support purlins due to load transfer to floor. Surely the diagonals are placing load on the floor as they are? I have had a builder and he brought what I assume to be an engineer/architect and they seem to think the posts in question can be removed without too much of a problem. I think i need to get a few more people in to see if they all agree.

I think you should start a new thread with some pics/specific questions rather than pointlessly dragging up ancient threads.

The diagonal beams will be placing loads on the ceiling but below that will be the central supporting wall to take that weight from the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back