cutting 1 + 1/2 inch chase in brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im trying to cut a chase in a wall to bury a 1 1/2 inch waste pipe which will be used to run various video cables in my house. iv been having a go at it today using a hammer and bolster but i think the repeat impact of this is to much for the bricks as its an old house (late 1800's/early 1900's)

iv cut out for the back box and iv cut out of one brick above. this is enough to make me see i need to use a cutting tool. i didnt mind doing the work by hand which is why i didnt us e apower tool in the 1st place, but like i say the wall aint going to take the impact.

any ideas what to use? il try and attach some pics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Think you may run into depth problems re BR 1.1 Structure limitations.

Vertical chases
- not deeper than 33% of wall thickness
- or 33% of one leaf thickness if cavity wall
- thus limited to 30mm for 4" brick

Horizontal chases
- not deeper than 16.6% of wall/leaf thickness
- thus limited to 16mm for 4" brick

Can you not use flat trunking giving you width?
You can even get it 100mm wide, 25mm deep.

Alternatively, can you not dry-line so avoid chasing?

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only thing that will cut neatly through that is a diamond blade on the old grinder. Bl00dy dusty though. Cough Cough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for the replys. im gonna hire a diamond blade with a cutter after a chat with the guy in the tool hire shop.

As far as i can tell, the bricks are pretty thick. I havent measured them though, however im sure they are thick enough to take the vertical chase. that pvs trunking look ok, but i thought you used metal trnking in a wall. did you mean to fix to the wall instead of embedding? i deffo want to embed it.

the pipe seems like an ideal solution given the amount of cable I want to drop down (scart, hmdi x2, rca, vga)!

Sponsored Links
N

Newboy

Just before you diamond blade your way through the wall I would check the thickness of the wall - you are planning to cut through 50% of the thickness of a brick - you might end up with a very tidy bit a cabling but you might also significantly weaken the structure of the wall.