Demolishing a brick wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing a major refurb and the structural engineer has signed off two walls (2.5m long as non supporting. Now the job of removing them...

Single brick, 20cm thick and having investigated the brick bonds into an outside wall so I need to get it flush for replastering.

Looking on the web two methods seem to be used:
1. Use angle grinder to cut into where the walls meet from both sides (hugely messy)
2. Having demolished the wall, use a hammer and bolster to knock the remaining bricks away until the wall's flush. (less messy but hard work)

What have you folks done?

Sponsored Links
Rattle it over with the big hammer. Knock out ties with lump hammer and chisel on completion. If brick to brick, you will only have 16 ties up each side to knock out. We would allow a lad 45 mins to knock out each side.
oldun

The tie bricks snap easily with a hammer, or hammer and bolster or levered with a crowbar along with the rest of the wall.

You will not get a grinder cut flush at the junction in any case

Sponsored Links
Brilliant - cheers guys. I've got a mate coming over tomorrow to give me a hand and hoping to tackle 2walls if we get time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back