Cutting 12mm Laminate floor? Which is the best cutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am considering installing 12mm laminate flooring in 3 bedrooms, and wondered what the best way to cut the laminate would be.

I have never done it before, but after a nightmare trying to find a decent plumber on another recent job, I am looking at installing the laminate myself.

I have just looked at a few cutters which have varying reviews, but as I am looking at 12mm, I wondered what you guys thought was the best way of cutting it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
How deep is it? I would go for a sliding compound mitre saw you can get one from around 70 quid upwards.

How deep?

The laminate we are looking at is 12mm, we thought 12mm would feel more sturdy/solid.

Thanks.

RJM2K means how wide is each board - this dictates whether you need a mitre or sliding mitre saw

Sponsored Links
Yes width. You could just use a circular saw but less accurate though that doesn't matter too much sas you cover the ends with beading. You will also no doubt need to make some planks more narrow so a handheld would be better for that. Screwfix had an offer on evolution not long back where you bought the mitre and got a circular free.

You might also need to need to use a jigsaw to cut any intricate shapes. The blades I use for cutting laminate are the Bosch T101AO blades.

Thanks guys.

The company sent me a sample, and it measures 5.5" across.

I was concerned about chipping the laminate when cutting, but last night I had a thought, that it does not matter that much, because where the cuts will be made will be hidden behind skirting boards anyway.

I could even use one of those oscillating Bosch cutters maybe, if I was careful, as it is only being cut at the start and end of the room, isn't it.

I have all sorts of saws, chop, circular, fine hand, Bosch multitool and one of those daft rotary things I got talked into buying on impulse! I get them all out but I always finish up with the jigsaw, fast simple and as long as you use a fine sharp blade good results with little flaking. You can get blades that cut on the down stroke if you feel the need.

Many typed of blade will chip one side so just make sure you turn the board so its the underside which isn't perfect.

Use a exakt saw as great for cutting down lengthways too.

You can get the green DIY version for around £60 and a great tool to own for cutting materials. You can set it up for cutting 12mm and it won't cut through under it.

http://www.exakt.biz/products.html

I have the dC270 now but still have the mini which has lasted 5 years and been hammered.

When putting laminate flooring it might be necessary to trim door jambs or trim, so that the flooring will fit under the door. Don't utilize caulk to hide your mistakes. Take as much time as required to do it right! Cutting the trim and jambs is possible quick and simple by utilizing undercut saw with rotary electric motor that drives a flat, round saw blade in a horizontal setup. You can purchase a decent quality undercutting saw in your neighborhood handyman shop beginning around $35.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back