Cutting a 150mm hole in a wooden garden office wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im fitting an AC vent to a garden office. Its double skinned with insulation between the two. Should I just bite the bullet and get a 155 mm hole saw, or is it easy enough to drill and stitch multiple holes?

Feels like a hole saw for a one-off job is a bit much, but dont want to end up cursing myself half way through the stitching...

Sponsored Links
Mark it out, drill a small hole right through to get your centre point on the other side, start it off with a hole just inside the circumference and use a jigsaw, repeat on the other side.

150mm is a pretty big hole - are you sure that your drill is up to it? This is the sort of job where you can all too easily burn out a combi drill by overheating the motor or cooking the battery. So, if you have a cordless drill it will ideally need to be top of the range (i.e. one with a metal chuck, metal gearbox housing and metal gears inside) and you will need to have an extra long side handle fitted because when (probably not if) the holesaw digs in and stalls it will kick back like a mule, potentially wrenching the tool out of your hands. I think almost everyone I know (tradesmen) has had this happen to them more than a few times over the years. For a corded tool doing the same job you'll need a heavy drill with a side handle. In both cases you need to keep the speed down to no more than 150rpm, ideally a lot less (more to reduce injury risk too yourself). One problem is that some insulation, e.g. mineral wool types, have a tendency to wrap themselves around the teeth of the hole saw, clog it and stall the tool. Similarly with some msterials like MDF and damp wood you will need to removecthe saw from the cut regularly to clean the (clogged) teeth

TBH stitch drilling, whilst not as neat, is a heck of a lot safer with these big diameter holes

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming there will be some trim involved both sides to cover up any rough edges. :whistle:
Never seen a vent yet which didn't have a 5 to 10mm flange on it, or even bigger

I too would use a jigsaw with a suitable length of blade. If too long it will bounce off the outer wall.

A hole saw is gonna be about £70 excluding the arbour.

If you chain drill, you will still need to cut through the timber between the drilled holes.

Fair play

I was looking at the bosch ones

I was slightly out - Toolstop is currently selling them at £39 with the arbor a further £10.15, however there was a guy on eBay selling them for about the £35 to £40 mark late last year including an arbor. Even so, still cheaper than Bosch or Starrett and cut as well (I have 5 or 6 Morse holesaws, some Starretts, some Makitas and some Bosches, all for doing plywood and timber floors - Morse is a long established American manufacturer, although not seen so often in the UK)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back