Cutting a doorway in brickwork

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
R

richard7761

I need to cut a doorway in a half-brick load-bearing wall. The lintel will be in the wall already prior to any cutting of the brickwork.

I will hire the tool required.

I believe I need a 300mm (12") grinder. Because that will have a cutting depth of 100mm, which is required to cut right through the half-brick wall.

I don't think I need a stone cutter as such.

I'm trying to avoid a petrol powered tool.

I'm looking at tool 06341 item here:

http://www.hss.com/index.php?g=6331#SpecificationTitle

I really need dust extraction. Dust is terrible when cutting bricks. I believe 06341 has some form of dust extraction.

Sponsored Links
Do I actually need a 12" or would 9" do?

I suppose it depends on the accuracy of the cut. You would have to cut from either side of the wall.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure there must be a reason for the price, you would need it for 1 day, how many times will you be doing this job?

As long as you are prepared for the dust and filth. Stitch drilling and chopping out by hand shouldn't take too long and less mess. Batten as a guide.

Should it be cut in one go from one side only with a 12 inch machine? Or, is it okay to cut from both sides with a 9 inch machine?

If it's plasterboard on the other side then a single cut from one side can reduce the dust in one room since you don't have to break through until last minute if you can control the cut depth, plus aligning 2 cuts could be difficult

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back