Adding a doorway in single brick garage wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning on cutting a doorway to the side wall of my garage. I've got a uPVC door ready... I just need to make a hole!

Assumptions:
Add a lintel. (doorway width + 2x 150mm)
Cut door way. (door + 10mm width/height)
Use a petrol disc cutter.

Questions:
Do I need to use acro props as there's not a lot of bricks above where the lintel would be?
How easy is it to cut a nice straight line with a disc cutter?
Should I just someone in to cut the hole? If so what would the cost be?

Thanks,

M

Sponsored Links
Is the gable masonry supporting a purlin?

Two acros and a 6' length of 3"x 3" timber will do for propping.

Knock a brick out central to the doorway and a course of bricks above where the lintel should go, shove the 3"x 3" prop through and prop with the acros.

You can either cut it full from the outside with a Still saw or use a 9" electric grinder if you can access both sides, i.e. single skin half brick thick masonry.

The posh way is to toothe out the bricks and re-build the jambs. The upside of this method is that you are not left with brick slithers where the perp's run out or large gaps or frog or perf holes showing.

However, you could always fix a cover bead up what is left of the jamb reveals to cover any poorly cut bricks.

Once its propped , mark out your opening accurately and offer up some batton and securely fix it with either fixing spikes or some screws or masonry nails into the bed joints and use it as a cutting guide. ( full length of the door opening ) Remove once done and point back in the holes in the bed joints with some mortar.

Is it cavity work or just one skin of brickwork ?

If it is cavity work you will need to use either "thermabate cavity closer" to seal the cavity or a 6" (150mm) vertical dpc ( against the back of the brick work and then return the blockwork into it. You should also consider placing a tray damp over the catnic lintel going out of the building ( If you use one as opposed to two concrete lintels ) maybe some weep holes on the catnic as well , 2 being plenty for a standard door opening).

If you do straight cuts on cavity work , cut the front out accurately and then in each internal corner drill a hole through the block work and that will give you a rough internal size for the opening.

If its just one skin , you got an easy one and ignore the above 2 paragraphs n just cut through in one go.

I'd personally toothe it all out but I'm a bricky :D

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Doorway has now been cut and the old double glazed front door has been put in. Apart from a dead hammer drill it all went really well. Although loading up containers with too many bricks that were removed didn't go down too well with my back...

Cheers,

M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back