Fitting single door in side of garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking for some advice to help me decide whether to take on my new project or get a local builder to do the job.

I am looking to fit an exterior door in the side of my single brick flat roofed garage.

What is the best type of lintel? I was condsidering this type.
http://www.condell-ltd.com/page.aspx?catid=329

What size would you advise on getting. The door I will be fitting will be 762mm in width + the frame.

I thought this would be sufficient because there will be very little bricks above the door, I think 2 courses and then the roof joists. I also thought it may be possible to remove the mortar between the bricks and slot this in before removing the bricks for the doorway, which will save me having to get some props to hold the joists up.

What do you think to stitching the wall with a drill rather than cutting it. I would like to minimise the mess when cutting the doorway.

The door will be cut 800mm from the back corner of the garage. I don't think the roof joists are connected to the wall in any way, I think they just sit on the top of the wall.

I am just concerned how strong the wall will be when the hole is cut out.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Need more information, is the garage freestanding or connected to house or any building above it? Is the new door an entrance into the house?

Has the joists been notched out over the wall plate or is it sitting on the wall and brickworks in between, this single wall is 100mm and not a double wall?

Hi masona,

Thanks for the reply,

The garage is a free standing garage. The door will allow me to get from my garden into the garage.

The joists sit on top of the wall with bricks between them.

I have taken a picture from the outside of the garage, the door will be going where the blue lid bin is

image-1.jpg

If it's only 2 courses of brick and then the roof joists, you would find it easier to prop the ends of the joists (a simple timber fence post would do for that) and then re-buld the top two layers over the angle-lintel.
If you try to cut a joint out to slip the angle in, you will probably find that the bricks will come down, and you'd have to re-build them anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony,

Will it be better to put a concrete lintel in, as they are cheaper. I'm still unsure about how strong the long part of the wall may be. I have been looking at putting in a wall starter and brick pier on the inside of the garage once I have cut the doorway out, just to give the wall a bit of strength.

Any opinions on this will be appreciated

Thanks Tony,

Will it be better to put a concrete lintel in, as they are cheaper.
You can if you don't mind the concrete facing finish, minimum 150mm overhang each side

I'm still unsure about how strong the long part of the wall may be. I have been looking at putting in a wall starter and brick pier on the inside of the garage once I have cut the doorway out, just to give the wall a bit of strength.
As long you have got at least 400mm from any return walls, just be carefull when drilling the fixings for the frame which can split the bricks apart. In the real world ideally redo the header bricks for better finish however it's can be covered up with timber frame, mastic or moulding etc

Looking at it again is the garage wall tie into the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back