Doorway cut into external garage wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I would like a doorway and new window cut into our external, single brick garage. Where I would like the doorway cut, the garage is 2.6 metres high and so there will only be about 5 courses of bricks above to the flat roof. Question is what sort /size of lintel would I need? I was wondering whether a 5mm steel angle iron would do as there's not a lot of weight bearing down? The door is a standard 33.5 inches wide so I would get an iron/lintel around 120cm if i could. Similar story for the window, which is 38 inches wide. What would you suggest? thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
A 100 x 100 x8 (or 5) angle iron would be OK for that span with 5 courses of brick.

Be careful if the wall you are putting the door and window in is nearer than 1m to the boundary, as fire regs. limit the amount of glazing in that situation.

Or use a 100mm x 65mm x (Opening + 300mm) concrete lintel - they're cheap and readily available...

Tom

Sponsored Links
Check condition/strength of wall first......my neighbour has just done the same as you and after 6 months of daily use the brickwork(1 metre either side) moves whenever he opens/shuts the door.

cheers for that guys... I was only thinking about the angle iron as I thought it would be cheaper and easier. Initially thought I would cut out the mortar and slide in the angle iron and prop up with slate. Was worried that if I had to use a lintel as suggested then some bricks above the lintel would collapse. But thinking about it now I dont think many would collapse and if so, they would just need mortar'ing up again.. Think I was worrying too much that the roof would collapse !
Is it just a case of knock bricks out, install lintel, knock hole for door through, sit door in hole, pack to straighten, secure frame to wall, seal.. or am I way out??

Door/window are both facing inwards to our garden.

The wall appears to be very solid, built in 60's... and the door would be about 10 inches from one pillar/pier, so hoping what happened to your neighbour, Taz, doesnt happen to me....

cheers for taking the time to reply.!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back