Cutting a hole in a metal flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a new extractor hood and need to change the flue too as the old one is a different size and doesn't fit properly on the new hood. This is a nuisance as the old flue already has a hole cut in the side for a PVC duct to vent the gasses through an exterior wall about 2 metres away. Unfortunately the flue that came with the hood doesn't have a hole in the side and the manufacturers (Candy) say they don't do any other versions with a hole in. That means I have to cut one myself, but it's made of stainless steel and will need a machine tool apparently. Any advice here, such as how to cut a hole in the flue without ruining it or where to get another flue with a hole in the side (that fits)?

Sponsored Links
The simple solution is to go to a machine shop with a plasma cutter which will take about five minutes to do a hand held hole.

To do it at home would be easier with some kind of grinding tool. Easier said than done.

Or you could use a tungsten tipped HSS drill and make lots of little holes and have jagged edges.

Tony

Or you could use a tungsten tipped HSS drill and make lots of little holes and have jagged edges.

Tony

Just make the hole a fraction smaller and file the ragged edges smooth.

What kind of file do you think will work on stainless steel?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Any decent file will work. It's only got a bit of chromium added - the trick is to file with the metal rather than against it. Or he can put a grinder attachment on a drill. If you don't behave I'll remove my thanks. :p

Thanks guys, sounds like it might be an easier job than I thought. The shop I bought it from recommended a jigsaw on a slow speed. My plumber's just phoned and reckons a hacksaw will do it, which sounds like a lot of hard work to me. I'd prefer a plasma cutter, but how much would a machine shop charge me for a job like that if I brought it in?

What size does the hole need to be and can you get a hole cutter to fit?
How accurate does the hole need to be? A jigsaw will cut stainless with a bit of lubricant :] However accuracy might be an issue....

My plumber's just been round and cut a hole in the flue with a pair of hand held cutters as easily as if it was a sheet of cardboard. Obviously the guy who told me I needed a machine tool was either leading me up the garden path or talking out of the back of his head.

Re my last comment, I didn't mean you Tony! Obviously you didn't even see the flue. I meant the guy in the tool shop I went to before I started this thread.

Do you mean with tin snips?

As they are very thin that will probably work OK but again its likely to end up with rather rough edges.

There is another very good tool called a Niblex Nibbler but they are expensive and not commonly available.

Tony

My plumber's just been round and cut a hole in the flue with a pair of hand held cutters as easily as if it was a sheet of cardboard. Obviously the guy who told me I needed a machine tool was either leading me up the garden path or talking out of the back of his head.
Give him a putty medal : and keep his phone number - he`s an old skool craftsman ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back