Cutting a large hole in a ceramic tile.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut a hole of 85mm diameter in ceramic tile (150mm square). What is the recommendation with regard to holecutters for ceramic? Diamond core? Would I be able to obtain an 85mm preferably with a pilot drill or would it be worth hiring such a tool? Alternatively could a certain type of jigsaw blade be obtained?

Thanks for any advice. ;)

Sponsored Links
You can either mark out your hole size and drill, using a small tile drill, small holes all the way round the diameter of the hole and then insert your tile saw and cut between each hole.
Or use a hole saw
Something like this should do you
Circle Tile Cutter

user guide

plenty options available here, correct size diamond tipped core bit, do as PBOD suggests but instead of using a tile saw use a tile file
or if you are as good as me, mark your hole both sides of the tile, then using a grinder come through from the back of the tile making sure you dont go to close to your mark, finish with parrot nibblers and tile file, thats the way i do it if i dont have the correct size drill bit, but to do iot thjis way you gotta either be good or just plain silly ;)

Thanks for the replies, chaps. I should have made it clear that the hole will not be contained entirely within the tile – a part of it is off the edge, if that makes sense. So this would rule out using the circle cutter in PBOD’s link, though I actually do have one of these.

I will have a go at the multiple drill holes round a prescribed circumference. Giving the then drilled tile a touch with the grinder appears well worth ago – thanks, JCT.

That aside, the 85mm diamond core seems an elusive size. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, chaps. I should have made it clear that the hole will not be contained entirely within the tile – a part of it is off the edge, if that makes sense. So this would rule out using the circle cutter in PBOD’s link, though I actually do have one of these.

I will have a go at the multiple drill holes round a prescribed circumference. Giving the then drilled tile a touch with the grinder appears well worth ago – thanks, JCT.

That aside, the 85mm diamond core seems an elusive size. :cry:

Am i right in thinking that the hole is not entirely in the tile ?

If so, mark where part of your hole will be on the tile, just scribe around the line with a cheap little hand held cutter, use a grinder with diamond tipped blade and cutting from edge of tile work towards the circular mark, keep making these cuts every 5-6 mm, you should then be able to snap the long thin strips off the tile leaving you at the scribed line, tidy up with a tile file or the grinder working from nack of tile towards front

Hope you can understand what i am trying to say

JCT: Yes, the hole is partly “off of the tile” if you see what I mean. I think I will give your method a bash. Do you think the diamond tile cutting disc (second one down) will suffice?

PBOD: That is a very interesting link. Reckon I will use that sometime in the future.

Thanks again, guys. ;)

Thats just davie showing off, too much time on his hands :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Rich, make sure they are old or spare tiles you practice on mate, it does take a while to get the knack, dont think i have actually done one with a hammer since around 1983 after serving my apprenticeship, just dont whack it to hard or it will shatter

Thanks for all of the links, guys. I am having a bit of trouble trying to drill a pilot hole through a ceramic tile (about 8 mm thick). Got through about ½ way and then the hole tile broke. Would it be better to use SDS drill bits for drilling the pilot hole?

Thanks for all of the links, guys. I am having a bit of trouble trying to drill a pilot hole through a ceramic tile (about 8 mm thick). Got through about ½ way and then the hole tile broke. Would it be better to use SDS drill bits for drilling the pilot hole?

if you just want a pilot hole, use a thin masonary bit in an ordinary drill, not hammer or sds, even a cordless will suffice mate, let the drill do the work, dont press to hard on it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back