Cutting holes in ceramic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently tiling my bathroom using quite large, 8mm thick, ceramic tiles. One of these tiles needs to be cut to fit over the shower valve controls and outlet pipe for a mixer shower. I need to cut two holes in the middle of the tile, one of 130mm diameter and the other of about 60mm. The chap in the tile suppliers seemed to suggest a normal holecutter in an electric drill would do the job but I`ve tried this and it`s hardly scratched the surface. Screwfix do a jigsaw blade for cutting ceramic tles but I`m not sure how effective this would be. Alternatively I was wondering if I could take the tile somewhere to get the holes cut but I`m not sure who would do this. The tiles were quite expensive so I can`t afford to experiment with too many! Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Why not use a masonry drill bit, eg 10mm and patch maybe 20 holes, then clean up inside tile edge with rough sand paper.

Al

I am currently tiling my bathroom using quite large, 8mm thick, ceramic tiles. One of these tiles needs to be cut to fit over the shower valve controls and outlet pipe for a mixer shower. I need to cut two holes in the middle of the tile, one of 130mm diameter and the other of about 60mm. The chap in the tile suppliers seemed to suggest a normal holecutter in an electric drill would do the job but I`ve tried this and it`s hardly scratched the surface. Screwfix do a jigsaw blade for cutting ceramic tles but I`m not sure how effective this would be. Alternatively I was wondering if I could take the tile somewhere to get the holes cut but I`m not sure who would do this. The tiles were quite expensive so I can`t afford to experiment with too many! Any ideas please?

are you sure they are ceramic and not porcelain for a start?

i personally would use a diamond drill bit, (i use these for ANY tile)

tile stores should have the sizes you require

so will some nameless sheds.

Thanks, I had already thought about that and started to drill the holes but after a while the bits seemed to stop cutting effectively and I assumed they weren`t up to the job. Perhaps I`ll try again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I had already thought about that and started to drill the holes but after a while the bits seemed to stop cutting effectively and I assumed they weren`t up to the job. Perhaps I`ll try again.

definatly sounds like porc fella.

If you knock a tile with your knuckle, a porcelain tile has a higher pitched ring to it - of course, you need to know what you're listening for. ;)
Turning the tile over is usually the best bet - if the bottom is a different colour to the top, then it's probably ceramic and not porcelain.

I managed this in ceramic by following gcols advice of using a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a ceramic disc.
It won't work for your 60mm hole though.

shower_tile.jpg

shower.jpg

Yeah, it takes pride of place beside yours :LOL:

All I need now is the plumber back to finish off the waste (a mate so I seem to hover near the back of the queue) then I'll see if it's leak free!

Thanks everyone, job done using masonry drill and lots of holes. Took ages but I`m happy with the result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back