CUTTING CERAMICS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate that there is a small section on this in the WIKI and I appreciate that several posts have been made surrounding this subject but....

What is the best method of cutting larger [thin] ceramic wall tiles?

I have a number of tiling tools [nippers, hand saws, scribes etc.] and have tried a few of the 'sliding' cutters. However, they always appear to break up the ceramic face at the cut edge whether cut back or front ways and whether scribed or not [maybe I am not scribing deeply enough?] Not a problem where the tile edge is hidden but there are some places where the tile edge will be seen.

I have a large water-cooled cutter for quarry and floor tiles but I assume this would be too much for cutting thin ceramics and would cause the same 'chipping' of the ceramic face at the edge.

Any definitive ideas e.g. do I need to buy a smaller electric cutter??

Many Thanks - especially to all the regular experts who post - your help is invaluable!!

Sponsored Links
I'm not one of the regular experts. I'm not an expert at all, but I have just finished tiling a kitchen and I'm wondering why you have raw tile edges showing? No matter how neatly you cut this edge, it probably always will look like a cut edge. To look finished, I'd suggest you hide the cut edge under tile trim. You can get some very discreet types now, like this:
http://www.tilerite.co.uk/ItemPageStyle2.asp?CategoryCode=86&SubCatCode=198

It comes in different depths so one should fit your tiles. All you see when fixed is the flat edge.

Thanks for the reply.

Problem is mainly the window.

The window reveal is only a narrow one. Therefore, either cut the tile so the cut edge is meeting the window [cut edge visible] or place the engineered edge towards the window and join the cut edge to the 90 degree face of the wall in front of the reveal.

Method 1 is better but, no matter which is used, cut edges are still visible.

Thanks

straight cuts a dry "hand" cutter would be best.

the edges should never be seen, if you are putting into a window you could use a plastic trim, tile right up to it and then you get a good finish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Problem is mainly the window.

Thanks

Ah, yes, windows! Trim is ideal for these. If the tiles are white, you could use plastic but if - like me - you don't like the curved profile, aluminium/stainless steel finish looks better and more discreet if you use the flat type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back