Cutting a piece of old chalkboard slate

• Thread starter josephdamien
  • Start date
J

josephdamien

I have a piece of an old schoolhouse chalkboard slate about 3' x 4'. I want to cut this slate into smaller pieces to use in my house and my workshop but have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help? I could not determine if this would fit in another category so am posting it here. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
you could use an angle grinder with suitable stone cutting disc, or for more accurate cutting take it to someone with a tile cutting machine.

Wotan

Thanks Wotan for your reply. I think I have an angle grinder and will have to get a carbide or diamond blade and give this a try. I also found a Youtube video regarding this and the guy also used an angle grinder. Hope it works. If anyone else has a suggestion, I am open to all! Thanks!

I'd use a grinder too. Sounds like you don't use it often so have a practice on something else first!

Sponsored Links
I guess it depends on how thick the slab is, but I'd be looking at water cooling too....helps with the dust at the same time.
John :)

Thanks ntb and Burnerman for your responses. And no, I haven't used my grinder very much and so may practice on a small corner of the piece of slate. I may, as Burnerman indicates, need to use some water for the dust and perhaps the heat. I know in cutting tile you need to have water running on the cutting area. This piece is from an old school and is not very thick. I think between 1/4" and 1/2". Again, thanks for the replies.

If it's not very thick, supporting the piece properly becomes important because stresses from the cutting could cause it to fracture. Something with even support and a bit of give - a thick sheet of polystyrene either side of the cut line would be ideal. Or a tile cutter as has been mentioned.

I was thinking practice on some old concrete, bricks or paving slabs rather than your nice bit of slate btw.

Thanks ntb. I'll be sure to give it good support. I know that it is very easy to shatter. I have some bricks and other items I can practice on. I'll post at some point with my results. Have to get to town and look for a proper blade for the angle grinder. Thanks for your comment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back