Cutting a tree down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
As an ongoing project i have stripped my front garden down to the bare bones and had a new drive installed. Whilst digging the ground over in preparation for new turf i am amazed at how many roots a small tree in out garden has.
They are up to 2" thick and at a long distance away from its base. The trunk i would say is about 10" in circumference and only 12ft high.
I am now going to remove this as i feel with the introduction of a new hedge and the lawn there will be too much competition for water plus the roots will be no more.
Anyway, simple question, at what angel do i cut into the stump to avoid the tree falling onto
A- Next doors drive/car
B-My drive
C- My House

Theres only one other way and thats onto the pathway. How do i make it fall that way ????

Sponsored Links
Cut it down in bits :)
If you don't feel comfortable using a chain saw up a tree( which I would not reccomend for a novice) use a pruning saw on the branches

Cheers.
I intend to cut it in bits once its felled, Its not a large tree by any means, just need to fell it first but dont want it to fall the wrong way. Which is why im asking what side of the trunk do i make the cut

You start by cutting a large wedge-shaped piece out of the trunk, with the thick side of the wedge facing the way you want to fall. This will need two cuts with a saw, meeting at the point of the wedge. Cut about a third of the way through the trunk.

Then, from the other side, and higher, cut sloping down towards the cut-out section, with your new cut aiming to meet it about half-way along.

When you cut the first wedge out, the tree's weight may tend to make it lean that way, due to lack of support. It might not lean, depending on wind direction and the weight distribution of the branches. However you can make it lean by giving it a push, or having someone pull on a rope in the direction you want it to go.

As you cut through more and more of the remaining support with your second cut, the tree will lean more and more. It may even go over enough to touch the ground before you are all the way through it; or the remaining part might snap unexpectedly and kick back (so wear protection, esp. eyes, and stand well back when it starts to go.

Conifers tend to bend and stretch before they fall. Old hardwood tress seem more likely to snap (but I have not done many of them) especially if dead.

Sponsored Links
skybluescooby said:
Cheers for that Johnd
Very specific and detailed.
I will give it a go later.
Many Thanks

Yea,
Wait for the cover of darness just in cause it goes pear shapped :LOL:

Indeed,
Next door neighbours just got a spanking new BMW so fingers crossed..
Should it go pear shaped and next morning he finds a big dent in his motor i wonder if he'll notice a missing tree ???

skybluescooby said:
Indeed,
Next door neighbours just got a spanking new BMW so fingers crossed..
Should it go pear shaped and next morning he finds a big dent in his motor i wonder if he'll notice a missing tree ???

I'd recommend none of this - take down the branches, then a small section of trunk at a time, leaving a good long section (say 6') for you to use as a lever to help get the stump out. You'll have to dig round it a bit to chop/saw some of the biggest roots, but without a trunk to push and pull you'll never get the base out.

Ill second that. Bring it down in small sections. You can rope each one up and winch it down under control and it wont take that long. A decent bow saw will do the job. Much more manageable and safer to you and the property

I agree about the leverage, very good point.

JohnD and skybluescooby don't
Still it is skybluescooby tree and his neighbour JohnD needs a new BMW ;)

Job Done.
Decided to remove branches at a head height and safely guided them by hand to the floor, then cut them in half again so i could lob em in the back of the car to take to the tip.
Once i was down to the trunk i kept it at about 5 foot then dug a huge circle around the base of the stump and excavated all the roots.
Once visible i simply took the saw to them and out it popped no trouble, Just got to trace back the roots and dig them up now as they will interfere with the new lawn.
Thanks Guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back