Cutting an Acrylic Resin Stone Shower Tray (Mira Flight)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at this Mira Flight shower tray, which is exactly what I'm after. Or almost exactly what I'm after. Somehow my blockwork walls ended up 4cm too narrow.

So now I'm left with 96cm walls and a 100cm shower tray. I can see 3 options:
- Cut 4 cm of the shower tray (would prefer to go 2cm either side)
- Horizontally cut 4 cm out of 1 wall, which I don't believe is an option as it's well over 1/6th of the thickness of the wall and will impact it structure*
- A combination of both

*The other wall has pipes running through it, so can't be cut.

Has anyone ever cut one of these trays? It looks rock solid, so I don't think it would cause issues, but would feel more comfortable if someone had done this already.

Sponsored Links
I have never cut an acrylic tray... I have used an angle grinder to cut Corian. The dust is nasty stuff on the back of the throat. My initial concern is that once you add the tiles, you will have no lip left. Additionally, the underside of the resin tray sometimes has a 20(?)mm step running around them, if you cut that way, you need to make sure that the base is "perfectly" supported in the middle areas.

Hopefully, someone else will be along soon to give you definitive advice.

Sourcing the underside product dimensions might be advisable- even if that means phoning the manufacturer. It goes without saying that they will tell you that cutting it will invalidate any warranty. Phone and ask to speak to the tech support dept. If you are lucky, the response might be "you can do it but I wouldn't advise it".

Measured up and all the slightly raised edges are approx. 6 - 7cm wide. So if I take off 2cm each side there's plenty left. Underneath it would only impact the riser kit fixing holes. But as I'm not using those, it would just sit on the raised bits that are built in to fit it flat to the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back