cutting copper pipe for pushfit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I may need to cut piece of copper pipe with a multitool or Dremel that's in a difficult position.
I then want to use a *pushfit* coupler, either Techtite or John Guest.
Everybody says that you need to cut the pipe square - but I can't guarantee this.
Am I right in thinking that as long as the o-ring has sealed on the pipe, a small angle on the pipe up from it will not make any difference.

Am I missing something please ??

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A dremel will leave a very sharp edge and burr on the bottom half of the pipe, if curtting straight down and will rip the seal to bits. You need to cater for getting strip of emery/120 paper or a deburrer into the space and completely clean the end before you go anywhere near it with a pushfit fitting.

Thank you denso & Madrab, because of the awkward position, I can only file with small files and 300 grit paper. I would also apply silicone grease on the pipe for ease of fitting. I would ensure that it is very clean and smooth at the end.
Please feel free to suggest anything else I may have missed.

Sponsored Links
Unless you can get the cut edge completely smooth and rounded over You'll be better using compression fittings in you circumstance.

I may need to cut piece of copper pipe with a multitool or Dremel that's in a difficult position.
I then want to use a *pushfit* coupler, either Techtite or John Guest.
Everybody says that you need to cut the pipe square - but I can't guarantee this.
Am I right in thinking that as long as the o-ring has sealed on the pipe, a small angle on the pipe up from it will not make any difference.

Is there not even enough room fro one of these https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-originals-15mm-automatic-copper-pipe-cutter/298pg once its on you only have to get a finger and thumb on it to turn it and only need a few mm at a time before you change your grip if space is tights

Dismantle the fitting, put the bits over the pipe carefully then screw it together, make sure you don't mix them up or get the grab ring the wrong way round.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back