Cutting doors after fitting laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have recently fitted laminate flooring and now i need to cut around 9mm of the bottom of all my doors. I have just bought a 3mm electric plain and then a circular saw as i thought that might be better but im now not sure what one to use. I was originally going to plain but the door isn't solid wood, i think its called moulded hardwood. Basically its got a front and back held together with 2 by 4's.

Can anyone advise on the best way to do this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get the door out of its hinges, measure what you need to cut off, lay the door as flat - but stable - as possible and cut the excess off with a jigsaw or circular saw.
Try to fit it back to see if it doesn't scrape anywhere and if needed plain off some more - and remember you can't ever 'plain' or saw' wood back on ;)

Just be aware of how much solid timber you have left, you don't know how much the original installer had to cut off :cool:

Tapping it should reveal how much is left, or you can run a small drill into the door from the bottom.

Circular saw would be my weapon of choice :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys, i have a jigsaw but thought it would be hard to get a decent straight line across the oor. Looking forward to using my new circular saw now! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back