Cutting down a hormann sectional door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all this is my first post.
Basically I have a very very weird size garage and I have been able to get a very very cheap horman sectional door kit. I bought with the possibility of selling on if I really had too but have found as expected its 15mm too wide for my opening. I dont have money I scrapped the £100 for this door and its motor. I want to know if anyone has had any sucess triming down each of the four sections by a small amount?

From what I am looking at it appears just drilling out two rivits in each section, grinding off 15mm of the panel and then drilling new holes and putting in new rivits. Every thing else with the frame can be very easily adjusted.

Well? am I being optemistic? would it be this easy? anyone got any tips?
Can it be done?

Sponsored Links
Have done one on a Henderson garage door, a bit of mucking about but works okay, I don't know much about Horman, providing the cutting doesn't effect the operating of the door I can't see why not. It would be a lot easier to shave off 7.5mm on each side of the wooden frame if possible

The frame is fine but this sits behind the wood and its the physical wall thats restricting it.

I have just taken another look at it as I had concerns that the end piece had been spot welded to the front panel before the final finish but have found that its glued.

This is the only problem now. Any ideas how to remove the end strengthening rib from the thin front panel without denting it. Know anything that disolves glue?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back