Cutting down island stools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I would like some help and advice on cutting down a few island stools to the desired height. The legs are wooden and are slightly angled. So would appreciate advice on how to go about this.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll need to make up some kind of jig, to suit the height you want to lose so that you can cut the leg at the precise angle:

How-to-Shorten-a-Barstool-003.jpg

An ordinary hand saw will be fine if you take your time.

Sponsored Links
You'll need to make up some kind of jig, to suit the height you want to lose so that you can cut the leg at the precise angle:

How-to-Shorten-a-Barstool-003.jpg

An ordinary hand saw will be fine if you take your time.

Good call, but I suspect that the jig should be used to create a score line. If you cut through three legs, the final one will see the stool slumping to one side.

Well you have to support it on equal height packers or similar as you go of course. Either that or cut about 90% through all four legs and then finish the last little bit off whilst it's on its side.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. Sounds tricky to make a jig for round legs and also to replicate the angle they are already cut at. Was thinking maybe a chopsaw at the correct cutting angle would do it?

Not tricky at all, just three bits of wood the right height, it doesn't need to be as posh as the one in the pic. If you don't have the tools to cut some wood to the right depth then you could use three undersized bits of wood and screw a few screws into the bottom and adjust their depth to get the height exactly right. Chopsaw is complete overkill and I imagine nigh on impossible to get a single leg in to cut it anyway. No need to overthink it, they're only chair legs.

Just chop it roughly. Then sand it to the required shape. 40 grit and hand sanding will give you max control. Stop to test the result often. This is excellent for getting warm in cold temperatures.

Not tricky at all, just three bits of wood the right height, it doesn't need to be as posh as the one in the pic. If you don't have the tools to cut some wood to the right depth then you could use three undersized bits of wood and screw a few screws into the bottom and adjust their depth to get the height exactly right. Chopsaw is complete overkill and I imagine nigh on impossible to get a single leg in to cut it anyway. No need to overthink it, they're only chair legs.
Thanks Freddie. I should have said that I am able to remove each leg from the chair. But take your overkill point

Yes you should have, chopsaw all the way then, you'll just have to measure the angle beforehand, I wonder why you asked .... :unsure: :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back