Cutting floor boards next to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make a cut through 18mm chipboard flooring that runs under a wall. I need to make the cut as close to being inline with the wall as possible. Obviously, the guard on my circular saw means there is a 3cm gap.
Is there a drill attachment that turns it into a mini circular saw, or can anyone suggest an alternative approach?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You can drill a run of 2-3mm holes very close to each other along the edge of the wall and work a saw into the boards and cut it that way or alternatively use a floorboard saw which is designed to make it easy to start a cut in floorboards that are already down. This is what one looks like:
p1103722_l.jpg

JonnyG said:
I need to make a cut through 18mm chipboard flooring that runs under a wall.
Is this a brick wall ? bearing in mind the weight of the wall pushing onto the chipboards which won't be resting on the joists. What is it are you doing ? Are you sure the chipboard flooring is under the wall and not just the plaster thickness ?

The construction is a bit shoddy. A dry-lined wall is built of a floating floor. I am going to add a lump of hard wood underneath as I take the adjoining chipboard up.

Sponsored Links
If you take the baseplate off a jigsaw, you'll be able to plunge-cut into the chipboard and undercut the wall if you want. When I'm plumbing I keep an old jigsaw permanently like that - it's invaluable.

BUT assuming you want to put the chipboard back, why not leave a few cm, so you can put some timber under there to support the edge afterwards - screws going through the bit you leave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back