CUTTING GRANITE WORKTOPS

Agile said:
How do you cut a sink hole in the proper 30 mm stuff?
You need a diamond drill, a bit like a small core drill. And they whould be run with a good water cooling system to minimise heat build-up (and the possibility of cracking) - at least that's how I've seen them done in my granite supplier's shop. It might be easier to go for the more traditional taps which attach to the wall above the worktop and have the pipework hidden in the wall behind

Scrit

Sponsored Links
You can get a water attatchment for your power drill-its called a water swivel,then you just use a bit of half inch hose with a tap on the end to control the flow and syphon it from a drum-needs to be a 'wet' diamond drill and used without hammer on of course :eek: but i'm sure you're used to diamond coring holes out for flues Agile-just like that only a lot smaller and a bit more care to be taken.

martyn211 said:
Yes i did ,after ordering it last tuesday it came by thursday so really quick delivery and it looks really nice ,all 4 edges are polished so i`ve even managed to put in a island unit with hob and no need to polish anything,the wifes happy with it,hopefully i can keep her in the kitchen a bit longer now ;)

Hi Martyn

Thanks for the details of what you have done.

How do you join the edges of the 1 metre lengths? Do you see the join when you have finished?

Chris

If you are talking about the "Creative Granite" system from Screwfix, then cutting it is easy with a tile cutting blade on a 115mm angle grinder. Take a look at the Creative Granite web site (google will help) for the videos. (btw, I am not a professional fitter and I have just fitted one of these systems...piece of cake)

Sponsored Links
Thought I'd post my personal experience here. Firstly we were fitting a Granite kitchen which we had gotten from some very generous friends. Granite was therefore not a choice as such, the problem was how to cut and fit it… especially as it was already bonded to the units. It was also not any of this so-called cheap resin-bonded granite.

I needed to cut several edges and corners, plus add a drop-in sink and a 35mm hole for a tap.

Cutting straight cuts:
I used a DeWalt angle grinder and #3 DeWalt dry diamond disk - It goes though it like butter. Lots of noise and dust! - So wear mask, goggles and ear-defenders;
Take lots of care measuring and lots of care in keeping the cut straight, though the disk itself will want to cut straight anyway because of its shape.

Bevelling/Polishing edges;
I used a set of dry diamond polishing pads, these varied from grade-50 to grade-3000. Dead easy, the pads are Velcro backed with diamond embedded rubber compound… they seem a little dead at first but once the rubber wears to expose the diamonds you're off and running.

Cutting 35mm tap-hole
I used a 35mm diamond core drill, a standard mains drill and a cheap B&Q drill stand clamped to the Granite… a gradual dribble of water stopped the drill bit burning up and once again a piece of cake. Without the Drill stand I had a real battle keeping the drill still on the granite. Perhaps a 35mm guide hole trough some plywood might have worked but for 20 quid the drill stand made sense.

Cutting drop-in Sink
I used the angle-grinder and dry diamond disk again for the straight lines, and the core-drill for the corners…. I elected for a square, rather than a round sink, partly on the basis that the cutting would be easier.

Just plan properly, measure carefully and test out your tools and techniques before cutting the real thing. It's a hell of a lot easier than most people would have you believe…. And don't fall for any of that expensive drilling rig and cutting machine waffle that the tool sire shops would like to rent!

All in all, the approximate cost:
DeWalt Angle-Grinder - £40 from eBay
DeWalt #3 Dry Diamond disk - £18 from eBay
Diamond polishing pads - £20 from eBay
35mm Diamond Core Drill - £10 from eBay
Drill Stand - £20 from B&Q

but the person who really wanted help asked in December 2006 good guess he has done it now, and as for ebay thats what you bid (well done) deosnt mean to say the next person will get it at that price

Hi Martyn 211

I'm considering the Screwfix granite worktops. Do you have any photos you can share? I'm interested in how well the ends match up as they come in 1 meter lengths

Thanks

Welcome mikewa2. The search option is really useful for looking up various topics, but please check the date of the original post before adding more questions.
Much easier to start your own new thread about your own project.

How many dimond drill blades did it take and how many cuts did you have?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back