Cutting granite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I am planning to build a BBQ in the garden, and part of the design involves granite trim and side table. I am a total DIY novice, i dont yet own any tools and have a lot to learn

I'm wondering what tools i should buy to cut the granite to size. Would an angle grinder be appropriate? can i attach and drum wheel to an angle grinder?

Sponsored Links
Granite can be cut with a good quality diamond blade.

A 9''grinder is fine but a stihl saw with clutch would be safer though if you have access to one. The water suppressor on a stihl saw also helps reduce chipping on something very hard like granite.

If you need to profile or chamfer it a diamond grinding cup in a 4'' grinder is the best tool.

Granite can be cut with a good quality diamond blade.

A 9''grinder is fine but a stihl saw with clutch would be safer though if you have access to one. The water suppressor on a stihl saw also helps reduce chipping on something very hard like granite.

If you need to profile or chamfer it a diamond grinding cup in a 4'' grinder is the best tool.
Thanks for the response

I'm afraid i dont know what you mean by 'profiling' so could you please explain?

Also, from videos i've watched online it shows water being poured via hose or sprayed, i assume to cool the blade, is this possibly a electricity hazard?

You wouldn't do a wet cut with an electric grinder, unless you're very brave/skilled or very stupid. The wet cutting you've seen will more likely be with a petrol saw, air saw or an electric saw specifically designed with a water feed (and appropriately insulated so the chances of water coming into contact with live parts is remote - a £20 angle grinder from B&Q absolutely will not be designed this way, and there's a significant risk of death attempting to use one for a wet cut)

You'd probably be best off hiring the appropriate equipment:

Don't do what this bell-end does:

By profiling, neo meant if you want to shape the edge of the granite, like put an angle, bullnose, curved edge edge. If you just want it straight cut like a block of cheese you can do that with a straight cutting saw

Sponsored Links
Yes as cjard says dont use water with a normal grinder. Also dont get confused by american videos using skil saws/ circular saws. These are not run of the mill circular saws you would be used to.

You want an angle grinder with a good blade or a stihl saw. The quality of the blade will determine the quality of the cut. Hiring may be best as you will need to spend a minimum of £40 on a blade which is not too sensible for a one off job. If you do buy then the grinder has no effect. As long as it spins then a £20 grinder will give just as good a result as a £100 one.

You must not try and cut granite with any kind of fibre blade its far too hard and will overheat and possibly melt/ shatter it. You must use a diamond blade

Don't do what this bell-end does........
Yes. I have to say it's amazing what you can find on YouTube - especially all those Yanks looking to get a Darwin award

You wouldn't do a wet cut with an electric grinder, unless you're very brave/skilled or very stupid. The wet cutting you've seen will more likely be with a petrol saw, air saw or an electric saw specifically designed with a water feed (and appropriately insulated so the chances of water coming into contact with live parts is remote - a £20 angle grinder from B&Q absolutely will not be designed this way, and there's a significant risk of death attempting to use one for a wet cut)

By profiling, neo meant if you want to shape the edge of the granite, like put an angle, bullnose, curved edge edge. If you just want it straight cut like a block of cheese you can do that with a straight cutting saw

i watched a video of am American who wrapped a plastic bag around his angle grinder while he had the garden hose dripping onto it.

I want to avoid using water completely, but is water to cool the blade or make a cleaner cut?

You must not try and cut granite with any kind of fibre blade its far too hard and will overheat and possibly melt/ shatter it. You must use a diamond blade
I've found some affordable diamond blades, but i dont follow your logic on this. Diamond is one of the hardest materials on earth

I want to avoid using water completely, but is water to cool the blade or make a cleaner cut?

I've found some affordable diamond blades, but i dont follow your logic on this. Diamond is one of the hardest materials on earth

Both, and to contain the dust that makes the job really unpleasant. The blades aren't made of solid diamond, they have diamond specks embedded in a substrate. If that substrate overheats, you lose your diamonds

The science of cutting extends far beyond "the saw must be harder than the material" - http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/choosing-the-right-grinding-wheel
For an intro

Hire the relevant equipment, and use a diamond wheel

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back