cutting granite worktop

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
this ought to go in the "kitchens" forum that we have not got yet.

I am remodelling a kitchen. There is an existing polished "granite" worktop which will be too big. It is ludicrously heavy. Can I cut it with a masonry blade in an angle grinder? Either I can get a piece out of it to fit the new layout, or at least I will be able to carry it down to the tip (or maybe sell it).

I don't know if it is likely to shatter or if the cut edges need special treatment.

Sponsored Links
A diamond blade in an angle grinder will cut through it John but it will be dusty if you are
doing it indoors.

That's the sort of thing but i'd go for better quality blades e.g. Bosch plus you'll need a 9 inch grinder and blades to get all the way through.

Sponsored Links
thanks. My grinder will not be big enough then.

I would go for a better quality blade John, as to whether your small grinder will do
I can't answer that you will only get an inch or so cutting depth with a small grinder. How thick is your granite work surface? Anyway just buy a new blade I can't see the point in having a grinder and not having a good blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back