Cutting in and Caulking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to start painting the house I've lined some of the walls, I'm wondering should I caulk around the ceiling and the dado rail after putting the colour on the walls to hide the dodgy cutting in?

Or should I do all the caulking before painting?

Sponsored Links
BEFORE, before.

Use a decorators caulk that is paintable.

Cutting in is far easier and less messy than caulking/sealing IMO.

I imagine you want the caulk or sealant the same colour as the wall or ceiling, so paint it.

I've just seen a penthouse flat that was decorated and they chalked all the walls to ceilings AFTER painting, it looked very good.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Most (cheap) caulks I have used haven't kept their colour but turned yellowish, so really need to be painted.

I caulk before unless the background is high suction (new plaster).

I always prime new wood before caulking.

I never caulk over "virgin" lining paper or plaster. It just sucks the water out of the caulk and makes it difficult to smooth.

My current favourite caulk is Everbuild 125. You can get for as little as a quid if you shop around. It smoothens nicely and doesn't cause the emulsion to crack as it dries.

I don't understand why anyone would leave the caulk unpainted. It is a bodge. Once unpainted caulk gets dirty, it stays dirty.

I groan when I walk in to a room and see that the "decorator" has run a tin bead of silicone to mask the fact that their paper cutting was rubbish. It is a classic example of SEP (Someone Else's Problem). The next time the woodwork has to be painted the decorator will have to remove the silicone prior to painting, the paper will be ruined.

There are lots of crap decorators out there, many of whom make much more money than me and who probably sleep as soundly...

I'm sad and enjoy cutting in. I've recently decorated the hall and spent a very satisfying hour or two cutting into the dado rail, skirting and coving. I've tried frog tape before but even the premium stuff lets a little bit of paint bleed, so with a decent Purdy or Hamilton brush I really don't mind doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back