Cutting in velux windows to concrete tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has just installed these velux windows. Velux say the gap between the tile and flashing kit should be between 30 and 60mm however the gap is clearly more in the photos below. The builder says it's the best he can do with the tiles. I would be really grateful if someone could offer some advice on how this can be achieved.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 181
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
Jesus, where to start. :eek:

Pic 1 big black hole, presume tile is kicking up too much.
Flashing not sat properly, as the moulded upstand should have no gap.

Some folk mortar the sides, where the tiles are cut, but yours look to big to do this.

Pic 2 flashing is not sat properly/distorted. flashing should slot on Top of each other, not skew whiff.

Pic 3 same as 2.

Pic 4 same as 2

pic 6 flashings overlapping as windows are too close together. I’ve not seen this done before, but I’m no expert.

He’s right that sometimes depending on tiles used, you can’t get the sides the same distance away from the window.

Sorry to have to write this message :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I’m thinking the only way to resolve this is to lead between the tiles and the flashing and get him to fix the obvious badly fitted flashing. Any thoughts?

Thanks guys. I’m thinking the only way to resolve this is to lead between the tiles and the flashing and get him to fix the obvious badly fitted flashing. Any thoughts?
It's more the lack of care or diligence fitting the tiles over some parts of the flashing. With a bit of careful trimming of the tile bottoms (where they sit on the flashing) you could improve those tiles instantly.

Trimming the tile bottoms is a great idea. As luck has it (maybe) just found some slightly smaller Marley tiles in my garden. I’m thinking they should be used between the two velux windows as the cut would be more like half a tile. They are slightly smaller in height, I’ve attached a photo. Do you think they might resolve that problem?

Attachments

• 154EA0CC-CFE8-4D55-8B9E-84007FBCC221.jpeg
    154EA0CC-CFE8-4D55-8B9E-84007FBCC221.jpeg
    699.7 KB · Views: 103
There is only really room for one Redlands tile between the two Velux windows. The left hand part of the tile points vertically so water can get in behind. The Marley tiles are not so wide meaning I could have one and a half tiles which would fill the gap nicely.

Found a new roofer that recons he can resolve. I’ll post photos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back