Cutting into phone cable to add ext.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm having sky fitted but no phone socket near living room but when I added an upstairs extension there is about 6 inches of cable coming out of skirting board into boxed in rad pipes (which is wallpapered) so is it possible to cut into the cable and add the extension box, as this would save an awful lot of trouble of lifting carpet and floorboards.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi all, I'm having sky fitted but no phone socket near living room but when I added an upstairs extension there is about 6 inches of cable coming out of skirting board into boxed in rad pipes (which is wallpapered) so is it possible to cut into the cable and add the extension box, as this would save an awful lot of trouble of lifting carpet and floorboards.
Many thanks

They normally fit one for you

They normally fit one for you

Yea, using some cheap 2 pair cable, usually crimping an RJ11 plug on one end, and plugging into a BT style to RJ11 adaptor, and a cheapy socket on the other end.

These days they hardly ever fix the socket to the wall, rarely clip or staple the cable, and generally do a very poor install.

Sponsored Links
Hi again, thanks for the replys but SHE had a brainstorm and suggested cutting the lead adding the socket from the one in the bedroom because it ain't used anymore because of the cordless phone up there. Job done and dusted. Thanks again all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back