Running cable for phone extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to run two extensions from our BT socket which is located in the hall. One of these is going into the lounge (for a phone and the Sky box) and the second is going into the dining room (for another phone and broadband).

A few questions if I may:

1) Because of the house layout it will be easier to daisychain these (ie one cable from the BT socket feeding both extensions). Is this ok and do I need to use a junction box or something?

2) The house has a concrete floor and parquet flooring so I am planning on running the extension cable in 10 x 16mm conduit fixed to the skirting. Is this ok or is there a better solution?

3) We have a surround sound system in the lounge. Would it be ok to run the speaker cables in the same conduit as the extension cable or is this going to cause interference?

Thanks for your help

Davey

Sponsored Links
In simple terms yes,all extensions should be wired off the main nte frontplate,after that you can star wire the extensions if you wish,Broadband does not like star wiring before the master socket.broadband generally works better when plugged into the master socket.

You can replace the front of the BT NTE 5 with a face plate that has an ADSL socket and a phone socket on the front and behind them terminals for phone wiring ( all phones filtered at the face plate so no micro-filters needed at each phone ) and terminals for ADSL wiring which is then wired separate from the phone wiring.

To get the most out of broadband you want to try and avoid the broadband signal having to travel through more cable than it needs to.

If your proposed daisy chain set-up is the shortest route to the room where the modem will be then that will be fine. Make sure you use proper twisted telephone cable not the flat type.

If it would be shorter to run two separate extensions from the master then fit a filtered faceplate to the master and run one extension to the sky box that is filtered (not carrying broadband) and a second one to your modem that is not filtered.

Sponsored Links
We need to run two extensions from our BT socket which is located in the hall. One of these is going into the lounge (for a phone and the Sky box) and the second is going into the dining room (for another phone and broadband).
If the lounge is first in the chain this is fine and you don't need to do anything special. Since this is the unfiltered part of the wiring ONLY connections 2 and 4 should be connected.

If the dining room is first in the chain then ideally you should fit a hard wired filter in the dining room and take a filtered signal to the lounge to avoid a stub of wiring on the ADSL connection

Use decent cable (BT spec CW1308 cable is fine so is CAT5. Try to avoid using the cheap sh1t DIY stores tend to sell).

Also IIRC it is reccomended to double filter sky boxes.

Great thanks Guys.
I'm off work this week so I'll go and get some bits tomorrow.

And is it ok to run the phone cable in the same trunking as the speaker cables?

If the lounge is first in the chain this is fine and you don't need to do anything special. Since this is the unfiltered part of the wiring ONLY connections 2 and 4 should be connected.

If the dining room is first in the chain then ideally you should fit a hard wired filter in the dining room and take a filtered signal to the lounge to avoid a stub of wiring on the ADSL connection

Use decent cable (BT spec CW1308 cable is fine so is CAT5. Try to avoid using the cheap s**t DIY stores tend to sell).

Also IIRC it is reccomended to double filter sky boxes.

2 & 5 not 4 ;)

A few questions if I may:

1) Because of the house layout it will be easier to daisychain these (ie one cable from the BT socket feeding both extensions). Is this ok and do I need to use a junction box or something?

2) The house has a concrete floor and parquet flooring so I am planning on running the extension cable in 10 x 16mm conduit fixed to the skirting. Is this ok or is there a better solution?

3) We have a surround sound system in the lounge. Would it be ok to run the speaker cables in the same conduit as the extension cable or is this going to cause interference?

Thanks for your help

Davey

Where will the modem/router be plugged in as that governs how to wire it all.

Sorry I'm getting confused now :eek:

We want to go from:

BT socket in the hall. This has got a phone plugged in but I understand the extension can be taken from the removable lower panel.

To the lounge where the Sky box and a second phone will be plugged in.

From the lounge to the dining room where the broadband and a third phone will be plugged in.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes three phones - I know :rolleyes:
Two of them are cordless and the kids never replace the handset so we have a third "fixed" phone that cant get lost ;)

Sorry I'm getting confused now :eek:

We want to go from:

BT socket in the hall. This has got a phone plugged in but I understand the extension can be taken from the removable lower panel.

To the lounge where the Sky box and a second phone will be plugged in.

From the lounge to the dining room where the broadband and a third phone will be plugged in.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes three phones - I know :rolleyes:
Two of them are cordless and the kids never replace the handset so we have a third "fixed" phone that cant get lost ;)

OK ,what you need to do is as follows :-

Get a 6 way filtered faceplate(Google "NTE2005")

This fits onto your mater socket in the hall, it gives you a filtered(for phone) socket and also an ADSL socket(even though you won't be using it).

For the extension to the kitchen you would run an unfiltered connection, at the other end you would install a filtered socket that would give you ADSL and a filtered phone point. You MUST run this extension back to the master socket in the hall. If you don't need to plug a phone in here(as you mention cordless-where will the base station plug in?) you could wire an ADSL extension-Google "NTE2000 extension kit".

For all other points you can daisy chain from point to point, again wire back to the master socket, as these connect to the filtered connections you won't need filters on any points.

Unfortunately your broadband is connected to the last socket on the chain. This means the broadband must travel through all of the extension wiring and a filter used on each phone and the sky box.

So your proposed set-up would be.

Socket 1 = Master with extension 1 attached to terminals. A microfilter will be required here for the phone you have plugged in.

Extension 1 = Secondary socket with extension 2 wired to it. A microfilter will be required here to connect the Sky and Phone.

Extension 2 = Last secondary socket where the broadband will be connected and a phone. Again a microfilter will be required here.

This is not the ideal set-up but you must make sure you use the proper spec cable as plugwash said CW1308. You will get some loss of speed with this setup but it will work fine. If going to the dining room via the lounge is no longer than it would be to direct from the master to the dining room then there is nothing to be gained by doing it any other way.

If however it is a short run from the master to the dining room you would be better off fitting a filtered faceplate to the master socket. The phone plugged into the master would not require a microfilter as it is built-in to the faceplate. Running extension 1 from the master to the lounge from using the filtered terminals on the faceplate. This extension would not carry broadband and would not require a microfilter. Then extension 2 would run from the master to the dining room from the unfiltered terminals on the master faceplate. This extension would require a microfilter on the end to connect the phone and modem. This would give the best results for broadband performance.

Then extension 2 would run from the master to the dining room from the unfiltered terminals on the master faceplate. This extension would require a microfilter on the end to connect the phone and modem. This would give the best results for broadband performance.

Or connect phone extension 2 to extension 1 and run a broadband only pair direct from the NTE 5 un-filtered terminals to the location of the modem.

Then this way means that inside the house there are no wires carrying both broad band and phone together. And most important for fringe area broadband there are no stubs ( spurs ) or filters on the pair carrying broadband to and from the modem.

There is no such thing as a broadband only signal.

You have either the original combined signal or a filtered signal containing only the phone signal.

There is no such thing as a broadband only signal. You have either the original combined signal or a filtered signal containing only the phone signal.

That is true. The signal to the ADSL modem is most commonley ADSL + phone. There are filters which take some of the worst of the phone signal from the ADSL side which can improve the ADSL when there is a high speed analogue modem using the phone line.

Hey guys,

Im a bit confused with what you are all saying about using the faceplate.

I would like to hard wire an extension from the master socket to an outbuilding for internet access. When they say that the maximum distance is 50 meters is that the complete distance the extension can run or is that the maximum distance between the extensions.

What parts would i need for this as well.

Luke Hayes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back