Cutting Lino - You Must Use A Strategy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

A couple of days ago, I had a go at fitting some spare lino in our small hallway. I'd never done it before, so I knew it would be hard. However, it turned out to be even more difficult than I expect. Everything was going smoothly until I lost concentration and became tired. Then I started making stupid mistakes like cutting off too much and leaving spaces :(. I really began to get frustrated and started to become careless. I realise that there are tactics involved to get those super straight and neat cuts like the professionals. It's only today that I discovered a few and now I have a proper method :).

I just basically need someone to confirm if I am/ am not doing it correctly and if there is another method.

My method is:

Ok, say we are cutting it long and straight to fit snug against the skirting:

I cut off the excess, leaving about 1CM so it's still a little bit too big to fit.

Then I mark corner to corner with a pencil, cut down with a utility knife to see what the end result of the points will be (so they should be the right fit here at these two points).

Then, I bring the edge of the lino forward and rest it on the floor (this is to make it easier to rule a line over it and also prevents from cutting into skirting).

I get a ruler and draw a line going from the 1st point to the 2nd.

Get the utility knife and cut along this line.

Voila, there is no reason why it shouldn't fit (providing it's been accurately measured):cool:!

Is it a good/ bad method? If so, why?

Thank you. lol when I first took on this task, I was 1st using a craft knife :p.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back