Country
United Kingdom
We are looking at installing the Richard Burbidge Fusion stair balustrade:

http://www.richardburbidge.com/stair-balustrade/contemporary/fusion

The instructions say that:

"When using Fusion™ your existing newel bases must be a minimum
of 82mm x 82mm. If less, face/build up existing bases using suitable
facing material"

Our existing newels are 68 mm so we need to build these by 14mm - i.e. 7 mm on each of the four faces.

I have got some strips of timber 7 mm thick and plan to fix these on to the newels using No-Nails or similar.

Is this the best way or is there any other options?

To avoid the edges of the timber being visible I would like to mitre the strips of timber at 45 degrees. What is the best way of doing this?

I have a circular saw which can be set to 45 deg but I think its going to be a bit dangerous to use this on thin strips of wood.

Would it be worth getting a cheap table saw or is it possible to use a router?

The newel posts are structural so I cannot replace them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
you are going to find it impossible to mitre such thin material accuratly over the length
much much better to sand the base back to wood
cut the sides 1mm wider than the sides glue and clamp overlaping 0.5mm back and front
sand flat with the back and front again cut 1mm wider glue and clamp

if you have to chamfer the vertical exposed corners after cladding the joins will all but dissapear

Make up a box section with 12mm timber, mitered and glued and pinned, drop the box sleeve over base newel and cap with a flat post cap, much neater , no reason to stick to minimum dimensions. :?:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys.

Foxhole - Sorry mate but SWMBO thinks this will "look wrong" :rolleyes:

Big-All - I have convinced SWMBO that the edges of the timber will not show when fitted as you suggested and painted. Hopefully she will be content with this :)

Has anybody fitted these Richard Burridge systems and, if so, was it easy to do?

It looks straightforward in the instructions but then it always does...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back