Cutting Oak Block Work Top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am about to fit a small section of oakblock worktop - approx 90cm long

I need to take approx 2cm off the back and cut a curve on part of the front edge

Is it feasible to trim this with a jig-saw ?

Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Jigsaw will lean and leave uneven cut, hand saw would be simple solution unless you have a circular saw.? A power plane would help with curve, finished off with a belt sander to get smooth finish.

draw the curve in strait lines with the largest part off the circular saw base plate supported
cut a series of strait lines 1mm from the finished edge may help to draw a line with a ruler you will probably have to pull the guard open with your hand
about 6 round a curve

Thanks for the help all

re. tools I have a jigsaw, an electric plane and a vibrating sander thing. I'd rather not buy any more tools really for a one-off job

could I do a rough cut with the jigsaw, smooth off with the plane and finish with the sander thing ?

Sponsored Links
Depends on what jigsaw you are using.
The Festool PS300 EQ (Trion) will make perfect straight cuts on 35mm oak with Bosch T111C basic wood blades.

Pendulum action off and the blade rides perfectly in the tungsten guides.
The guides are only a few millimeters from the surface and adjustable. So you can set them exactly to suit the blade within very fine tolerances.
No other jigsaw has that feature afaik. Not even the latest Bosch.

The Trion is the older model. The latest Carvex is designed slightly different and afaik they combined the tungsten guides and the pendulum device as one component.
I can't comment on how effective the Carvex performs as compared to the Trion. Either set up has advantages and disadvantages.

Never tried the trion on thicker stuff but would be confident acheiving good results with the right blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back