Kitchen Worktop Edging Question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks,
The other half has decided she wants a breakfast bar in our kitchen so I told her to go ahead and pick out some worktop. Anyway I'm going to fit it over the next couple of days, but as one end of the breakfast bar will be near a doorway I want to either put a 45 degree on the corner to stop any...ahem, accidents with people walking into it.lol. I have a router and jig and have done worktops, etc in the past so will prob do the cut with this.
Basically I am wondering how to edge the cut edge of the worktop with the edging strip if it is cut/routered at 45 degrees on the corner. Will the edging (will either be iron on or stuff applied with contact adhesive) wrap around the knuckle/edge of the 45 degree? It would need to come along the width of the top which is 616mm and then say 100mm from the edge point it would be the 45 degree cut.
Or, would a bit of a curve be better? My worktop jig has a curve on it so I suppose I could router a curve instead of a 45 as the edging tape may follow this a little better.
Any advice would be great thanks :)

Sponsored Links
no probs do this all the time,i cut by hand to form the 45 degree cuts then evo stick the trim on,then using a piece of gash timber pare off the excess then file down to smoothe.

no probs do this all the time,i cut by hand to form the 45 degree cuts then evo stick the trim on,then using a piece of gash timber pare off the excess then file down to smoothe.

Thanks for that mate. You never find that the edging breaks when you try to bend/fold it over the change in angle at the 45? I just had a look at some edging I have for some conti-plas and it looks like it would be too brittle to bend for a 45 degree angle.

if you can do a curve 45 then yes it can be done as 1.
if its a straight 45 then it will have to be done as separate bits.
just make sure you take your time and ensure the cuts are straight use a square and a pair of scissors.

Sponsored Links
if you can do a curve 45 then yes it can be done as 1.
if its a straight 45 then it will have to be done as separate bits.
just make sure you take your time and ensure the cuts are straight use a square and a pair of scissors.

I can do the 45 with a router, that way the guide bush will ensure there is no sharp point on the 45. Is this what you mean by a rounded 45 or will ir require something more?
Cheers again. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back