Cutting oak sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,

I have some oak sleepers to cut for a project. They are 4"x6" in section and Tyson hard. Any suggestions as to how I can cut them easily without resorting to a chainsaw.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I used a circular saw to cut my softwood sleepers...probably an entirely different matter for oak though...

Probably need a chainsaw or get them cut to length at a timber yard...

dunno if a timber yard would touch them. They`re probably soaked in creosote/ tar and then , when they were laid - the train`s WC used to discharge over them :mad: . They don`t tell you that in Thomas the Tank Engine :LOL:

Sponsored Links
4x6 isn't massive, could cut them with a sharp handsaw if you have a good right arm ;)

A circ saw and multiple passes would also deal with it.

Alligator saw - with fresh blades is non dramatic and effective.

i once spent a whole afternoon chopping up new oak sleepers with one & it gave a good cut - chainsaws leaves tooth marks and is not accurate (admittedly bloody fast though). i have cut them up with a b&q 300mm cimound mitre saw, but that was a pain, my hitachi 300mm circular saw does it but not from one side (you have to flip it over like with the mitre saw).

handsaws are ok, but i wouldn't want to if i had a power tool handy....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back