Cutting oak veneered mdf..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've got to make some shells from some 8x4 oak veneered mdf.

What's the best way to cut it to stop chipping?

My boss seems to think I can just cut it with a fine toothed circular saw blade, I'm not so sure.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I tend to cut across the veneer grain with a Stanley knife first, slicing right through and then getting as close as possible with a fine saw blade.
Cutting along the grain is much simpler!
John :)

The finer the tooth on the saw the less it chips, hand or power saw.Ensure blade direction cuts down through the veneer and not up from below.

Ok thanks all,

I need to cut in both directions, so that won't work, Stanley knife is an option tho.

I will have a new 40 tooth circular saw blade, the sheets are vereered on both sides, so need chip free on both sides?..

Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Using a circular saw you have two real options

Hire or buy a track saw with a splinter guard
Or get a sacrificial sheet of 3 mm ply and clamp it to the top of the veneered MDF that should give you a resonably splinter free cut .

Have you thought about buying it ready cut from places like this http://www.wrightscarpentry.com/cut-to-size.html.

Best bet though is a table saw with a scoring attachment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back