Cutting Plan - Is there an easy way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a wardrobe from a plan (although I'm already formulating changes to the plan) and the plan had a materials list. Unfortunately the plan is American and it appears we can't get boards quite as wide as them, at least not in my local timber merchant. I revised my list off the cuff while buying and now have a pile of wood which ought to be enough to complete my project. Thing is I've already found that when cutting the smaller pieces I could have got away with less wood as some of the offcuts, particularly after ripping the boards down to width, could have been used for other pieces. I'm left with the large panels to make and glue up and I'm wondering if there is any easy way to work out the best cut and glue plan. Or is this something that just comes with practice?

Sponsored Links
One way is to use graph paper, cut out all the components to scale and see if you can make them fit.

Always alway always cut the biggest pieces first :D
Unless youre 100% certain of what materials you have.

are you talking 2440 by 1220 verses 2400 1200 if so check other suppliers the first is 8 by 4ft the second is metric!!!
dont forget the thickness off the saw cut
and as said above graph paper is best ;)

Sponsored Links
petewood said:
One way is to use graph paper, cut out all the components to scale and see if you can make them fit.

That was my next course of action. I wonder if I can pursuade one of our CAD guys at work to draft them for me :LOL:

Hitachimad said:
Always alway always cut the biggest pieces first :D
Unless youre 100% certain of what materials you have.

I started at the top of the list and worked my way down. I was going to cut all the pieces first but then had second thoughts. I guess it would be better to build a bit at a time just in case I have to alter bits to fit. Also I may not like the way something is looking and wish to change it, I might not be able to do this if I've already cut up all my wood.

big-all said:
are you talking 2440 by 1220 verses 2400 1200 if so check other suppliers the first is 8 by 4ft the second is metric!!!
dont forget the thickness off the saw cut
and as said above graph paper is best ;)

Sorry, that was perhaps misleading. I have one 8 x 4 (or metric equivalent) board, that's not the problem. What I was referring to was the various planks to make the side panels, frames, doors etc.

ok the way i cut lengths of timber

write a complete list off components idividualy example
580* 580 580 580 239* 239* 239* 239* 1200* 1200 2200* 2200*

lengths of timber avalable 2.7 3.00m 3.3m 3.6m 3.9m

i then number each bit off wood as i plan what to cut from it

length [1] 2200 + 580 +239+239 =3258 +10mm[3 cuts]=3268
so length on is a 3.3m
you then put a pencil line through all the relivent measurements on the list you right exactly what your cutting each length into on the length

length [2]2200 +1200+239+239 =3878 +10mm [3 cuts]=3888
3.9 length

the asterisks mark the bits allocated [scored through]
when youve finnished count the components you should have and the actual number you have place all the wood relating to one area [door frame for example]in an individual pile if you have two doors you have 8 components

you get the idea ;)

you set the saw up with a length stop cut all the longest bits from each lenght progressing down the length list untill all you left with is the shortest components left so if you make a mistake your only short off short components

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back