cutting plaster and brick indoors ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a new extension which i can now open up into the old house , and to do this i've got to cut through the existing brickwork and plaster. For obvious reasons i need a nice straight edge to make good eventually so i want to cut the brickwork.
Whats the best way of doing this without the bedrooms and bathroom looking like they've been in a dust storm ?

Sponsored Links
You'll need a lintel or two over the doorway.
You can hire stone saws but they can make one hell of a mess.
To make the hole, you need to mark it out first, then I would you a bolster chisel and hammer to remove the plaster on the marked area.
The next thing to do is.
Using an SDS drill and masonry bit to drill a few holes, through the brick work, with the holes in line.
Spaced out about every 40-50mm, again bolster chisel and hammer to break the brick.
But get the lintels in place first.

You'll need a lintel or two over the doorway.
You can hire stone saws but they can make one hell of a mess.
To make the hole, you need to mark it out first, then I would you a bolster chisel and hammer to remove the plaster on the marked area.
The next thing to do is.
Using an SDS drill and masonry bit to drill a few holes, through the brick work, with the holes in line.
Spaced out about every 40-50mm, again bolster chisel and hammer to break the brick.
But get the lintels in place first.

Thanks for that. The only bit i didn't say was part of the wall is a window , i'm taking out the brickwork under the window, so the lintel is already in place above the old window.

Thanks for that.

Sponsored Links
Do the bedrooms and bathroom open on to the extension with no doors? If not close the doors and seal around with masking tape. If your extension opens into a single room seal the door before you start. That way you only finish with dust in one room. I have just installed a new window in a block built outside wall using this method, when the hole was finished we cleaned up through the hole, hoovered, let the dust settle, then hoovered again. Then fitted the new window and unsealed the door. All clean and no problem. You will need a good dust mask and safety goggles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back