Cutting plasterboard before installing it in a wet area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My Gyproc Moisture Resistant plasterboard (2400 x 1200 x 15) has arrived.

Three boards for my bathroom. Each one is heavy and unwieldy. A mate can't make it this weekend to help me out (He'll be around next Sunday instead).

Is it sensible to cut the boards in half to make them more manageable so I could crack on with installing them by myself this weekend.

Might be a daft question but I've not done this before so thought I'd ask before taking the knife to them.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If it’s a wet area, hopefully you'll be tanking before tiling? If not, I would sincerely advise you do so even when using MR boards! In some cases you will have no choice but to cut them as it can be physically impossible to get a full size sheet into some smaller en-suites. It will make no difference as long as you keep the joint central over a stud or noggin if its studwork or full by supporting the join edge if dot & dab; make sure you reinforce the join.

If it’s a wet area, hopefully you'll be tanking before tiling? If not, I would sincerely advise you do so even when using MR boards! In some cases you will have no choice but to cut them as it can be physically impossible to get a full size sheet into some smaller en-suites. It will make no difference as long as you keep the joint central over a stud or noggin if its studwork or full by supporting the join edge if dot & dab; make sure you reinforce the join.
Cheers for a speedy response Richard.

Just to clarify about your comment to reinforce the joint. I've bought some plasterboard tape and joint filler from B&Q. Do I just tape the joins and then apply the joint filler, wait for it to dry and then sand down?

Cheers!

Plasterboard tape, yes but joint filler, no I would never bother with that stuff. How exactly are you going to finish the wall? i.e. plaster skim, plaster skim then tile, tile direct onto the board; hopefully your not just going to paint it?

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard tape, yes but joint filler, no I would never bother with that stuff. How exactly are you going to finish the wall? i.e. plaster skim, plaster skim then tile, tile direct onto the board; hopefully your not just going to paint it?
Gyproc state that I can tile directly onto the board. It's around the bath so am planning to tile the lot.

For the join (& screw heads if you have them) I would apply a skim of plaster if I have it available but I’ve also used grab adhesive or you can use flexible tile adhesive if you have a tub of something like BAL White Star handy; work it into any gaps, tape the join & then work some more into the weave of the tape but don’t leave it too proud.

In a wet area, I personally would not be happy tiling directly onto any board other than a waterproof tile backer board. If forced to use PB, I would still tank it weather it’s moisture resistant PB or not; note that the term used is “moisture RESISTANT” & not “moisture/water PROOF”. For the relatively small additional cast involved, I would really not wan't to be re-doing such a job after only a few years; if done properly, it should last a minimum of 10 years & it should easily last 20!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back