Cutting plug tops off for flex outlet plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just replaced my TV and the instructions say to not cut the plug off - though they don't actually state doing so will void the warranty.

My previous TV (13 years old!) didn't have such requirements so when I wall mounted it I used an easily accessible SFCU with a flex outlet behind the TV and hard wired the power lead to the flex outlet.

Where do we actually stand with thing like this?

I'm happy to change the SFCU for a 20A DP Switch and the flex outlet for an unswitched plug socket behind the TV if absolutely needed.

Thanks

(All my stuff is MK Logic Plus)

Sponsored Links
You can’t cut the plugtop off easily, but the complete plug is easily done and won’t affect the warranty.

Personally I would just change the switched FCU for a socket (no need for a double pole switch) as pulling the plug is an even better method of isolation.

cant see a warranty problem, i usually shorten cables for neatness and fit a good quality plug

Personally I would just change the switched FCU for a socket (no need for a double pole switch) as pulling the plug is an even better method of isolation.

Just to confirm, the SFCU is low down in the AV unit, and the flex outlet is behind the TV (wires chased in wall). The TV is wired into the flex outlet, so if I just changed the SFCU for a socket, I wouldn't be able to plug the TV into it without having the wire dangle down in front of everything! I'd have to change the flex outlet to a socket, but then the socket would still be fed by the SCFU which would mean 2 fuses for the same appliance - hence in this setup changing the SFCU for something fuseless.

Sponsored Links
Just to confirm, the SFCU is low down in the AV unit, and the flex outlet is behind the TV (wires chased in wall). The TV is wired into the flex outlet, so if I just changed the SFCU for a socket, I wouldn't be able to plug the TV into it without having the wire dangle down in front of everything! I'd have to change the flex outlet to a socket, but then the socket would still be fed by the SCFU which would mean 2 fuses for the same appliance - hence in this setup changing the SFCU for something fuseless.
No problem, multiple 13A fuses in line is common place. Chances are the TV only has a 3A fuse these days so loads of discrimination.

Personally I'd be happy to remove the plug and wire direct into the connexion plate but do ensure your SFCU fuse is the size recommended for the TV plug.

Under H&S rules make sure the removed plug is suitably destroyed to prevent someone plugging it in and receiving a shock from the cut wire. I bend the L&N pins over or twist them off with a big pair of pliers.

Personally I'd be happy to remove the plug and wire direct into the connexion plate but do ensure your SFCU fuse is the size recommended for the TV plug.

13 amp then. The same TVs are sold all over Europe where they plug straight into a 16 amp circuit with no fuse in the plug.

13 amp then. The same TVs are sold all over Europe where they plug straight into a 16 amp circuit with no fuse in the plug.
BUT BUT it's not the same TV is it????? Read the relevant instructions, that is what they are there for.

BUT BUT it's not the same TV is it????? Read the relevant instructions, that is what they are there for.

Almost certainly is the same TV. All TVs are internally fused anyway. Any fuse in the plug is to protect the cable only.

As others have said, just change the flex outlet for a socket and plug tv in as long as it'll fit. Don't worry about 2 fuses inline, it really doesn't matter, the TV doesn't draw anywhere enough to make the losses anything but insignificant, and the only time any of the fuses is likely to blow is if there is a major fault in the TV which would require it to be removed from the bracket anyway

For information, Winston’s post which is referenced in this post has been deleted and he has been banned from posting on this thread any further. Please can I ask everyone to report any posts which are not helpful so we can remove them as quickly as poss.
To 'idoodle'.

You have 2 obvious solutions which I believe you understand.
1) Change the connexion plate to a socket, or
2) Cut the plug (or plugtop as a very high percentage of people call it) off and terminate it in the connexion plate just as your previous TV was. Please destroy the plug to ensure it cant become a danger to anyone.

Enjoy your new TV.
Take care and stay safe.
The fuse is usually in the plug bottom.
Winston please stop this rubbish you keep spouting.
The OP Knows exactly what he means,
I know exactly what he means,
Every other person reading this knows exactly what he means.
OP has probably learnt the term from proffessional electricians.
It is only Winston who doesn't understand what the meaning.
Some of the manufacturers even describe them as 'plug tops'.
Some of the wholesalers call them 'plug tops'.
some of the retailers call them 'plug tops'.

Winston please stop your 5h1t and leave the answers to those who do understand what is being asked, all your pointles rubbish does is confuse those who come here asking for help. Three people have given sensible advice based on information supplied, one person yet again is giving useless confusing advice. Just in case that person making useless comments doesn't know who it is... It's Winston yet again trying to mess the whole process up.

What I find annoying about this "is it OK to cut the plug off" business is, why can't they just have an inlet on the TV and a separate plug in lead ? You'd think it would add costs to have different cables to fit along the assembly line vs dropping a different cable in the box at the end - more likely to be different boxes for different countries than different TVs. But I digress, with a plug in lead, it's easy to just use your own, cut to whatever length you want, without worrying about warranty.
On the other hand, they probably don't bother too much anyway. They can't sell a returned unit as new, and even if it was DOA an they fixed it (so potentially qualifies as new), it would cost more to re-package it as new than it's worth. On that basis, I can't see how they could refuse to honour a warranty because you've changed the plug.
And the biggie of course is ... even with a moulded on plug, don't they still have the "as the colours in this cable might not ..." label on them ? So they are allowing for you replacing the plug.

I have plug-in lead on my set.

If none in the UK has then perhaps a UK regulation to do with the plugs.

Many do have plug in leads - there's no reg against them. But for some reason, many have fixed leads - and not just "cheap" makes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back