Cutting roof rafter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wasnt quite sure which section to put this in but hope someone able to advise will find:)
I looking into the possibilities of getting a flue pipe through into the loft space and in doing so would need to take 300mm out of a roof joist to make way.
As I hope you can see from the pics the next joist was cut and framed for a loft hatch when the roof was done in the 70’s and is a cut roof . The joint between the hatch framing and joist would be lost as well if a piece was removed.
Many thanks for any help.

613DD00E-5DEB-4234-9C15-1DBD12FF2F87.jpeg D16EB57A-9726-4E64-AE1A-F91DD8F9A2D9.jpeg A368D5C7-4654-4F22-9105-08941501BD38.jpeg 9B4FDAD0-46A9-4235-813B-5F911A817ED0.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi Lost
If you could stand the hatch being bigger? where your ladders are leaning you could move the trimmer back say 8 inch or so.

Hi thanks for that catlad. I may not of explained fully but where I have the red circle is the position the flue has to come through the ceiling which means cutting the joist even if the opening was moved back if that makes sense?

468C59E5-84F2-4009-AC21-785CE28C4AAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes I understand! so just make the new trimmer extend past that one to the one left of that where there is another joist 6 inches away. You will have to do something similar behind which I can't see.

Sponsored Links
Yes I understand! so just make the new trimmer extend past that one to the one left of that where there is another joist 6 inches away. You will have to do something similar behind which I can't see.
Thanks, if you mean the wood thats runs along the wall thats not a joist or structural but is a piece to fix the ends of the plasterboard to.

Ahh ok a couple more options then, continue the trimmer past the non structural piece of timber and use a joist hangar or cut a sort of pocket into the masonry to accept the trimmer.

Well i've done some reinforcing with 4x2 c24 and a length of old stuff I had here which is far better timber, I could just drop a hanger down before I cut the joist?

BA724E23-7201-45FD-95C7-49E983D04710.jpeg

That looks a lot stronger, Why not put a piece of ply over the new timber where your ladder is? make it even stronger and somewhere to step of the ladder when entering your loft space. Hangers a good option.

That looks a lot stronger, Why not put a piece of ply over the new timber where your ladder is? make it even stronger and somewhere to step of the ladder when entering your loft space. Hangers a good option.
If you mean where I think you do , the new flue will be blocking that area off

D46953C4-E1D2-47A0-801C-88BFF92E165A.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back