Cutting slot into 15mm mdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to clad my newel posts using the Stairbox cladding system.

The cladding material is 15mm thick veneered mdf.

I would need to cut a 26mm square end slot of variable length into some of the faces which are 70mm wide.

Could some one advise me the best way to do this?

What type of equipment would I need to do this, could I perhaps use a router?

I would imagine that I would need to take precautions so that the veneer doesn't chip off when cutting.

Regards

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Diyisfun.

Would you know how wide the widest bit is or would I need to make multiple passes of the router to achieve the width of slot that I need?

I've looked at router bits but I'm a bit confused as to which the is the best bit to use.

Regards

Mike.

You don't want to plunge a large bit down into the material, it will rip out a mess. You want a very thin bit, and work out the slot gradually and carefully. I would guess 6mm dia or less.

Sponsored Links
I would need to cut a 26mm square end slot of variable length into some of the faces which are 70mm wide.

Can I just clarify that you're looking to cut a slot into the cladding and not the newel posts? Can I ask why - I can't see anything on the stairbox site to indicate that this should be needed - in fact on the stairbox site their cladding appears to be European Oak, not veneered MDF?

Hello Chud,
Thanks for your response.
Yes, the slot is to be cut into the cladding. This is to accommodate the stringer that is morticed into at least one side of each newel post.
The slot would have to be perfectly sized and cut to give the impression that the newel post is solid oak (I wasn't planning on replacing the stringers).
I'd seen this thread http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8138 and hoped I could do something similar.
I had noticed since posting that the cladding is solid oak and not veneered mdf.
Unfortunately, the existing newel posts are so way off on the upright there's not enough space around some them to pack them out before adding the cladding.
So I've scrubbed the idea.

Regards

Mike.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back