reinforced 25mm MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built some cupboards and bookshelves into a couple of alcoves and I seem to have a problem with the shelves. They are approx 880mm span and made from 25mm veneered MDF. The thing is when they are populated with books there is a slight bow in the middle. Hard to believe I know. Not exactly a heavy load either!!! I do not wish to have them supported in the middle or have any visible brackets/supports so they are fixed at the ends.
I have considered a few things and the best i can come up with is to router a slot down the middle of each and insert a 12mm stainless steel shaft and then fill it in and have them re-veneered. Would any of you consider this a viable option?
I would be routering the top of the shelf so that the shaft does not force out the fillet when under load.

Any comments or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Aiken said:
I have built some cupboards and bookshelves into a couple of alcoves and I seem to have a problem with the shelves. They are approx 880mm span and made from 25mm veneered MDF. The thing is when they are populated with books there is a slight bow in the middle. Hard to believe I know.
Not really - the people who make MDF recommend a maximum span of 600mm. You will even get that (although less of it) with plywood. What you should have done was consult the Sagulator

Aiken said:
I have considered a few things and the best i can come up with is to router a slot down the middle of each and insert a 12mm stainless steel shaft and then fill it in and have them re-veneered. Would any of you consider this a viable option?
Not really as the steel will still sag. You need to put in a threaded steel rod (better still two) with a nut and washer at each end and tighten-up the nuts to keep the shelf under tension and increase its beam strength (rigidity). This will require housings to be cut which look something like those used in a kitchen worktop joint. Guitar makers use a similar technique in guitar necks

Scrit

Would the rod have to be the full width or could it run from say 100 -150mm in from each end as they are fixed at the sides? Would this have any bearing (excuse the pun) on the deflection?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back