1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting a slot in the bottom of a door?

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by DartArms, 16 Sep 2021.

1. DartArms

DartArms

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I need to cut a slot in the bottom of a 35mm thick oak door (it's a 838x1981mm door) to accommodate an anti warp insert. The slot needs to be 10mm wide and 17mm deep.

I'm trying to work out the best way to do this but not having mush luck. I've looked at slot cutting router bits but most of these can't cut deep enough. I could get a 10mm straight router bit and use the router tilted over 90 degrees but I think this will be a bit hard to handle, and I assume routers aren't really designed to be used on their side.

What options do I have to do this?

Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. DartArms

DartArms

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unless I can stand 2m in the air with the door held vertically I would need to hold the router on it's side (rotated 90 degrees) and I'm not sure that's advisable with a router? I've never seen one being used in this orientation before so I assume it's either not easy to handle, or unsafe, or both?

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  6. DartArms

DartArms

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks @foxhole that is what I was originally intending on doing but started second guessing myself and thinking it was not the right way to do it.

7. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fix a thick, oversize fence plate onto your router, say 18mm plywood about 200 to 250mm square with lightly chamfered edges. That will support your router. It is how we deal with slots for drop seals when they've been missed in manfacture or misrouted or we need to shorten a door (it happens, albeit rarely). Grooves are routed with the doors laid flat on a pair of trestles. Works better with a knob screwed onto it but you still need to support the weight of the router

Last edited: 16 Sep 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DartArms

DartArms

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    All done @JobAndKnock, I followed your advice and it worked brilliantly. Thanks

9. Sponsored Links