Cutting a slot on an inside curve

ntb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping for a bit of advice on how best to proceed...

I'm building an arched picture frame and I need to cut a slot on the inside of the curves. I've made a compass jig for the router and cut the curves out but seem to have reached the limits of my ability/experience.

I don't think I can do it freehand with the router without screwing up the inside face. Might be able to use the jig if I can hold the piece securely enough but I can't clamp it without fouling the jig.

The obvious suggestion is to use a rebate instead but I can't do this due to the design. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If you are trying to do what I think you are, then what about a bearing guided slot cutter. Like this Axminster one.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-2-wing-slotting-router-cutters
You need an arbor to go with it, available on the same site.

If it's a one off you could do it by hand, by marking the slot quite deeply with a marking gauge, and removing the waste carefully with a chisel, and or hand router (not a power tool) if you have one

Best to be clear in your mind how you are going to make something before you start. :)

My first attempt. at uploading an album image.

I think the slot cutter is probably the way to go but I'm not sure about how to clamp the work piece nor whether a slot cutter can take it all out in one pass?

Best to be clear in your mind how you are going to make something before you start.

Totally agree but part of the reason I'm doing this is to learn how to do it and if version 1 is a failure it will be classed as a prototype and another attempt will follow.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Not sure what I've done with the picture but if you right click on it and select view image it will load. That's the first practice piece on the jig. Cutter wasn't long enough hence the burn marks.

Either cut the inner curve, then the slot, and then the outer curve. or screw the workpiece to something you can hold from behind. Making sure of course that the cutter won't contact the screws.

• Thanks
Reactions: ntb

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back