Cutting slots in timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for a way to cut slots along a piece of timber so that it can accept glass being slid into a frame. I own a router, but am not a great user of it, so can't see how that would help? Thanks.

CG

Sponsored Links
Two methods with a router: use the side fence and a straight cutter with a diameter slightly greater than the glass (e.g. 3.2mm cutter for 3mm glass) OR using the router mounted in a router table use a groover mounted on an arbor with an appropriate bearing (or a fence) to limit the depth of cut. The first method is cheaper and easier for one-offs, the latter is better if you are doing a lot of cuts. For the straight cutter approach it helps if your router has or can be fitted with a fine depth adjuster to set the groove depth - for the groover method some form of fine height adjuster is needed to set the distance of the groove in from the edge of the work piece (the cut depth is dicatated by a combination of the diameter of the grooving cutter and the diameter of the guide bearing)

Thanks for that. As I said, I am a router virgin, and am not sure which type I have! I now think it's a plunge (the bit is hidden til I press down?). I will check and ask more daft questions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back