How to cut slot in wood (awkward position)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I have a wooden border fixed to the ground that cant be moved or disassembled. The cross sectional view makes it look like an L shape (please see image attached).

I need to cut a slot at the bottom of one side of the wood right on the L. I cant get at it with my router as it is quite high (bits wont be long enough).

I have 24m of wood to cut this slot in with internal corners.

What would be the cleanest was to cut the slot? It needs to be around 1cm x 1cm.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210823_203258.jpg
    IMG_20210823_203258.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
I was thinking a door trimming saw before I saw the internal corners.
I suppose a special router bit isn't possible? Like a milling bit?

I've got to ask why the groove wasn't cut before instslling the timber - which woukd have been far easier.

Trying to cut a 10 x 10mm slot in a single pass is the sort if job you can do with a 1/2in router and a top bearing slotting bit, like an intumescent bearing bit:

Img117.gif

The problem is that the greatest depth of cut you can get on this type of cutter "E" (with an accessory guide bearing) is 7.5mm, although the height if the cut "B" can be 10mm. With an 82mm long shank that means your slot could be 50 to 55mm down from the top.

You might be able to use a router cutter extender to get you 100mm down off the top, but these extenders are really designed for use with the router fixed in a table and are generally regarded as too hazardous to use on a hand held router. In other words it is a dangerous combination

About the only thing I can think of would be an antique 3/8in shoulder plane, with the corners being dealt with by hand chisels. A multitool and strip of 10mm ply (as a guide to run the blade against) could replace the shoulder plane, but wouldn't give such neat results. Either way, very labourious

Sponsored Links
Just thinking aloud...

What about a biscuit joiner such as the old DS140 (which doubles up as a mini plunge saw) or a plunge saw with a flat face such as the old Festool 55mm saw? Both have flat faces but you would need to run a bit of timber along the floor to set the required height,and run the tool more than once. Far from ideal, so feel free to ignore me.

Just thinking aloud...

What about a biscuit joiner such as the old DS140 (which doubles up as a mini plunge saw) or a plunge saw with a flat face such as the old Festool 55mm saw? Both have flat faces but you would need to run a bit of timber along the floor to set the required height,and run the tool more than once. Far from ideal, so feel free to ignore me.

biscuit jointer was my thoughts too.

a budget £50 would do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back